09APR2006-Update: She drove like a champ from Va to Ma and back. Now she's gonna have some resting time as I think about what to do next with her.
This is an 81 Malibu that once had a 229 v6 in it. Well, that was replaced with a v8 crate motor. The new engine set up makes about the same mileage as the old v6, only with about twice the horsepower. It's a work in progress so all future modifications will be updated here.
Some of the stuff I've put in it and changed:
350 crate motor, gen 1 block, 76cc heads.
Tuned port injection system from a 1991 camaro z28. All stock.
Mild performance cam shaft.
Long tube headers with air tubes. Wrapped in header wrap.
Still has all the emssions equipment.
Airfoil. K&N filter.
Doesn't have any AC, heat, or a conventional fan. I took the squirel cage fan out (along with all the other air related stuff that were casualties during the engine change out.) The open engine compartment looks better.
Oil filter relocation kit. Filter is now next to the charcoal canister. It should be easier to remove now and it won't absorb heat from the headers.
Turbo 350 transmission (Plan on putting in a 5 or even 6 speed manual in 2006:)
Water temp, oil pressure, and tachometer gauges bolt-ons added. I added a green diode to the water temp gauge that lets me know when the electric fans come on.
Dual electric radiator fans. Probe for the thermostat is inside the raditor.
Dual mufflers. Not a true dual exhaust though.
Removed rust from various parts of the car, mostly surface rust on the frame, body panels, gas tank (which is new and designed for fuel injection) , and under carriage components. Then sprayed on primer and paint.
Used silicon sealant to water proof various parts of the car such as along the stainless steel trim at the bottom of the windshield and along the doors weather proofing.
Sony head unit. Pyramid amplifier. Mp3 player auxiliary connection.
9*5in rear speakers. 2.5in front. Made a new rear dash out of fiber board and covered it with vinyl fabric that closely matches the car's interior.
Restored interior plastic panels. Sanded them down and used a plastic/vinyl stainer on them. Looks almost new.
The carpet, seats, and headliner are original. Maybe I�ll do the headliner and carpet in 2006 but no rush.
Installed new shocks, tires, and classic rally wheels.