The latest freshening of the old '55 started in 2002 with a front disc brake conversion and continued in 2003 with a complete rebuild of the '65 283 which had been the power plant since the mid '90s. The motor was bored over .040, and my dad rebuilt it for me, adding some goodies that I picked out, including a Crane Energizer cam kit, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 600 4 bbl, Accel 8mm wires, and Power Pack heads. I also traded a guy for some "ram's horn" exhaust manifolds. After a few hundred miles, the balancer started rattling (it was old style press-on), so we removed it, and dad drilled and tapped a hole in the end of the crank to put a balancer bolt on. I bought a new balancer and we installed it. Boy, that motor runs great now.
The old reliable 283 just after the rebuild
Installing the new balancer and getting ready for the installation of the Vintage Air A/C system.
The next projects all ran into each other. They included installing the new stereo and speakers, installing new carpet, installing the Vintage Air system, installing a "Raingear" wiper system, upgrading to a higher output alternator, upgrading to a blade style fuse panel and cleaning up the wiring, installing an ABS plastic firewall pad, painting the dash and all interior trim, replacing several items in the dash area, installing aftermarket gauges, and replacing the windshield (not an easy task). It took a good while, but all of that is done now. What a good feeling!
The new carpet going in
In the middle of all the installations (note that the dash has been repainted)
Just before the new windshield went in