This is my Project K5.
Vehicle: 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado 4x4
Engine: 350 V8 TBI 5.7L
Transfer Case: NP208
Front Axle: GM Corp 10 bolt
Rear Axle: GM Corp 10 bolt
Differentials: Eaton Posi
Exhaust: 2.5" True Dual No Mufflers
I purchased this 1987 Chevy K5 Blazer Silverado 4x4 in 1998 for use as a daily driver. It had around 92k original miles on it. I put it through some pretty rough driving and off-roading and since have replaced an axle shaft, differential, and ring & pinion gears. Added true dual 2.5" exhaust with new cats from the headers back. The tranny has been rebuilt twice now since the first rebuilder was a complete moron and only replaced enough parts to make it run for a year. So in 2002 when i started to feel the tranny slip again I decided to park it and buy a new vehicle. You can check that out at My Frontier
The truck ran fine other than the tranny when I parked it. So after sitting for almost 3 years, I've decided to restore this thing to have as a fun weekend and offroading truck. I'll update this page as I go so check back often!
Removed old gas and added 5 gallons of fresh gas.
Drained old oil and changed filter.
Added 5qts of Mobile 1 synthetic blend 10w-40 oil.
Installed new battery and cables.
Fired engine up!
Has rough idle and sounds a bit weak.
Pulled it down the driveway and parked in street. Very weak when in gear. Barely able to move itself.
Cleaned misc. trash out of interior. (still very moldy inside)
Changed out fuel filter.
Semi cleaned out TBI.
Engine still very weak.
Idles a little bit smoother now, but not enough strength to move truck back up driveway.
Changed out distributor cap and rotor.
Changed out spark plugs & wires.
Noticed one injector in the TBI isn't spraying fuel (The cause of the weak engine.)
Gained new respect for the word "gasket".
Purchased new injectors and TBI repair kit. (8.4 billion gaskets included!)
Replaced PCV valve.
Replaced breather filter.
Started TBI rebuild.
Finished TBI rebuild.
Installed rebuilt TBI
Installed new PCV valve.
Fired engine up.
Engine ran smooth for a few minutes, but would not stay running after a restart.
After a few restarts something popped and all electrical died.
Discovered electrical failure was due to faulty ground from battery to chassis.
Sanded down connection points.
Replaced Idle Air Control sensor.
Replaced Throttle Position Sensor.
Ran for a few then passenger side exhaust back fired twice and engine stalled.
Check Engine Soon code reads: High voltage on TPS. (Ran low voltage before replacement.)
Replaced Coolant Temp. Sensor.
Replaced Temp. Sender To Gauge.
Checked Ignition Timing (Set To 0*).
Replaced Water Pump
Cut out bad catlytic converter
Sweated 8 gallons in hot sun
Replaced Ignition Control Module
Replaced faulty Throttle Position Switch
Engine finally runs smooth!