MASTER & SLAVE CYLINDER REPLACEMENT
One day in a glaxy far far away.... wait a minute, wrong story. Anyway, one day I noticed at a car show that I had some liquid leaking from the back end of my car. A closer look at it and it turned out to be hydrolic fluid from my clutch line. More spacificly coming from my slave cylinder that sits just on top of the transmission (note: not the easiest place on the car to work on due to being a rear engined car. Not that it would be probably on any car.) So after some research on the internet and talking to some other DeLorean owners that I know. I made an order from one of my favorit DeLorean vendors. I orderd a new master and slave clutch cylinders as well as a SS braided hose clutch line to the system.
To get to my slave cylinder I removed the intake manifold. I know I probably, and once again probably could have gotten to it without taking that off. However though it probably would have taken me much longer and would have much harder to do wothout removing the manifold. I needed to take the manifold off anyway to make sure all of my coolant lines were tightend after the new ones I installed earlier.The master cylinder was much easier to get to. I just had to jack up the front end, take off the front left tire and then remove an access port inside the trunk up front.
Access port in the trunk.
Looking down in the access port in the trunk ( pictured above).If you look close you can make out the master cylinder and the SS braided hose line where it screws into the top. Also if you notice there is some hydrolic fluid condinsation on the line that connects the master cylinder and the hydrolic fluid resivoir. I haven't seen anything quite like this before. It's as if the fluid is bleeding through. So I ended up replacing that line as well.
Pic of the old line out of the car.
Close up of the connectin to the resivoir with the new line.
New line connected to the Master Cylinder.
Actually the hardest part about this job was snaking the SS braided line down between the frame and the pontoon. There were a lot of little unknowns along and between those things that I kept getting caught up on.
Looking at the drivers side wheel well. You can see the SS line and where I snaked it through.
While I was underneith the car in the back. I removed two plate sheilds and cleaned them up and painted them. I am also going to do a good clean up and restoration on the undercarrage sometime soon.
I have also replaced all of the labels that were on the interior and exterior of the car with a stainless steel label kit. Each label is a meticulous reproduction of the original. Manufactured out of 0.015" stainless steel, acid-etched, and filled with a baked-in enamel paint.
This page is still in progress. The job is already done, just had to stop to go do some more things to the D. Tune in for more updates to this topic and other stuff real soon.