Page 1: Introduction Page 2: Suspension & axles: (you are here) Page 3: Other mods Page 4: Wheeling pics Page 5: Miscellaneous junkPage 6: Tool & Camping Gear Storage Unit . . My BII came with the wimpy little Dana 28 under it (build date before 11/'89) Fortunately I had a Dana 35 on hand to take it's place, along with a disc brake 8.8" from an Explorer to replace the smallish 7.5" in the rear. Both axles were stuffed with ARB lockers and 5.13:1 gears. The front axle is mounted on a pair of Rancho axle brackets (reinforced) along with home-built extended radius arms made from the stock arms using 20" lengths of 2", .250 wall DOM tube. The frame brackets are fabbed out of 3/16" CR plate steel. Instead of TTB lift coils which tend to be ridiculously stiff, I used Skyjacker coils for a Jeep XJ or ZJ Cherokee (#JC60F) . These are fairly close to the same physical diameter of the stock coils and will fit the stock mounts after minor modifications. The weight of a Bronco II works quite well with the ~240PPI rate of the coils and actually allows the suspension to FLEX a little. A 2" bodylift & generously cut fenders gives the tires some additional room for movement. These coils are normally good for a bit over 5" lift on a Bronco II. I raised the stock coil buckets up 2" (along with adding a set of F-250 shock towers), which results in a net suspension lift a little above 3", which matches up nicely with the 2.5" Rancho drops. The Skyjacker coil next to an old 3" Rancho XJ coil I had used previously: Both are right around 240PPI, although the Skyjacker coil seems to be much better made (so far no sagging over time like I experienced with the Ranchos). 12" travel shocks on F-250 mounts (Bilstein shown, but now have Fox 2.0s) The added flex necessitated widening of the beam window (along with trimming the radius arm bolts inside the beam housing) so the shaft doesn't bind up inside there (this has the potential to bust a shaft quicker than you can say "snap!"). The center u-joint yoke is clearanced for added droop travel as well. . . Steering seems to be the one area of greatest concern when building these trucks (unfortunately I see this overlooked all too often by others building them). If the linkage is "out of phase" with the suspension's movement, the resulting bumpsteer causes very strange things to happen on a TTB suspension (especially when the stiff TTB coil restriction is removed). I tossed out the stock "inverted-Y" steering linkage and put a centerlink (a.k.a. K-Link) setup on it. I started with a Superlift Superrunner kit and beefed it up in a couple places, then dropped the centerlink down so that the tierods would be in proper phase with the axle beams at normal ride height.The rather-thin Superlift tierods were tossed for custom DOM replacements using 1-ton Dodge ends (4500lb axle). Dodge ends give it a cleaner appearance than Chevy ends for this application but are otherwise similar in size. . "Center" limit cable to keep the frontend from rising up (unloading) on steep climbs, while still allowing for full flex. It runs over the frame through a tube on two small pulleys, providing some "forced articulation" on the suspension like usually seen with a straight-axle suspension (with the cable under tension, one side pulls up as the other drops down). The cable can be easily released at the axle to allow full droop travel for dune bashing or other high-speed use. . The rear suspension is a little more basic... I swapped in a set of Skyjacker #FR34 leafs with extended shackles. Fox 2.0 shocks provide damping duty (ditching the Ranchos). Still needs some better bumpstops and maybe a traction bar (hops a bit on occasion if the tires slip).