I hope you like it!!
Link to Adaptronic site
This car is a winner.
I have more of them only my wife dos not want me to have them all around the house.
First time in the hot seat.
Yes I�m a daddy now!! 10-09-2004. will she be a rally driver as well?
At the moment we are running with 80Kpa pressure on the Volvo 940 TD04H-13C-6CM2 turbo.
We already have max boost @ 3000Rpm and 20Kpa @ 2000Rpm. Last weekend we did a field trail off road and the engine working very well. Turbo response is better than a Subaru Gt turbo that�s for sure. The turbo boost is coming up very smooth and the 201 Hp is easy to handle.
At first we were thinking to build a twin turbo for more boost at low RPM, now it turns out to be that the Volvo TD04H-13C-6CM2 is all we need.
This type of turbo must be easy to find second hand on a scarp yard. It must be possible to chance the characteristic of this type of TD04 turbo family.
Fitting a bigger impellor and diffuser house on this type of turbo must be possible for more airflow at hi boost.
The id�e is to use a turbine house with a small norsel ring like the TD04H turbo and to fit a G compressor impellor on it to prevent the air heating up to much at hi boost.
Click here for a small movie.http://www.xs4all.nl/~phillo/Dragsamurai.wmv
We did some drag test with a drag computer. According to the computer the SJ has 165Nm @ 3000Rpm and 169HP @ 6000Rpm measured on the wheels.
Shaft power will be 201Hp when the drive train gives 15% power losses and CV.
Acceleration form zero to 100KMh in 6.219 seconds.
1/4 Mile or 400 meter time in 15.080s @89,50 Mph.
1/8 Mile or 200 meter time in 9.681s @74,57 Mph
We still want to make a run dynojet to optimise the engine performance. Fuel and ignition timing settings are not optimised yet.
That is also why we don�t want to go over 80Kpa boost, first we want to measure inlet and exhaust gas temperature before we want to pull more load out of the engine.
We dont want to damage the pistons and the valves they are standard.
The head gasket is a success and sheep to build compared to using other pistons to bring the compression ratio down to 1:7. (Look at the picture further down on this page)
Exhaust manifold under construction.
Have a look at the ingredients. The small turbo is from a 650cc Yamaha motorbike.
The Bigger one is from a Volvo 940 2.3 LP turbo engine. The air-to-air cooler is from an Audi A6 2.4TDI engine.
We used or abused the GTI engine for one year now and it�s about time we replaced it.
We run the engine on 100Kpa or 15Psi very shortly and it blow out a camshaft seal due to the hi crankcase pressure.
We don�t know how many kilometres this engine already run in the donor Swift, I think 200 thousand Km and is had a bad service record as well.
Most of the engine parts were just within or out of the service limits the so we decided to take a new small block.
We are going to build is as a semi group A engine with standard pistons that all have been corrected to the same weight. The compression ratio will be lowered from 10:1 to 7:1. We are engineering a thicker head gasket to bring the ratio down.
Take a look at the conn rod cap that has been grinded of to corrected the weight
This is the first time that we had to use a new engine block, and we run the GTI engines from 1995 on.
The raw marital were we going to build a head gasket from.
After two hours in the workshop. The head gasket gives a 1:7 compression ratio.
A nearly new turbo.
Have a look at the web side at http://home.hccnet.nl/erikmeijer/auto.html to see more about it.
We started using the Swift GTI as a rally car in 1995 in a group A configuration.
At that time is was our second year of rally competition and we built this car as our first rally car.
We had good results and came 5 in the rally sprint competition and second in our first international rally.
We run the group A until the end of the 1997 season were we crash the car in the Golden Tulip rally.
It took us two years to build a new group N rally car. No building time, you know how it goes boy meets girl and they lived happy in a home en so on.
In 2000 we hit the rally roads again. The first shake down was in Belgium on the Zolder racing circuit.
The car was faster than we have hoped for. Whit the old group A the rear of the car was to light whit made it hard to control the car whit hard breaking in to corners and bumpy roads.
Also we made the car stiffer by taking les materials out and putting more in (full group N kit at that time including the rear seats was 920Kg).
Whit this heavy car we were able to outrun a Golf VR6 on racing tyres.
From the first Rally on we always had first place. Not bad for a car that was manufactured from 1988 on.
Our biggest win was the Sezoens Rally Belgium in 2002 were we had to compete whit the local national champion whit an factory build Volkswagen Polo 1,4L engine.
Group A rally 1995.
Engine: standard 115 Hp @ 6700RPM 133Nm @ 5100RPM. (note!! 15% is lost in the drive train) 100Hp on the weels.
Fuel pressure regulator.
Chipped ECM. (Engine Control Module)
Oil pressure and temp gauge
Gearbox: Standard ratio whit Suzuki sport LSD set to 70%
Breaks: standard Ferodo break parts
Suspension front: Proflex adjustable rebound and bump, adjustable in height and unibal topmounts.
Suspension rear: Proflex adjustable rebound and bump and unibal topmounts.
Springs: Proflex on the front and standard on the rear.
All rubber mounting: Suzuki Sport.
Body stiffener front: Suzuki Sport and also constructed in a part of the under floor protection.
Wheels: 14�J5.5 and 14�J6 rims whit Michelin rally and race tyres.
Welled role cage also connected to the front shock mounts. (Jump prove)
4 point safety belt.
Halon hand distinguisher 2Kg.
SPA electrical fire distinguisher system.
Under floor protection driver and co-pilot. Gravel spec.
Navi and communication:
27 Mc radio for communication whit the team.
For nighttime: 2x 100Watt and 2x 55Watt rally lights.