The stock EK1 engine already had 220k on it and was leaking oil, burning oil, had low compression in one cylinder and the carburator was on its way out. So instead of rebuilding this 75hp beast, I decided to go with a B18A1 out of a 90/91 Integra. I found a 1990 Integra GS for $700 that ran nicely but didn't look so good cosmetically.
I've been following the progress of others on 1stgencivic.com and learning lots from them. It's a big project though since noone supports these cars so you can't buy any of the pieces you'll need.
Dirty engine taken out of integra
Some modifications to let tranny and alternator fit in the prelude
After a little cutting and banging on the driver's side frame rail for the alternator. I covered it with some jbweld so water wouldn't get in the slit.
Custom mounts all around (1/8" steel). These will accept the modified crx engine mounts I bought.
Since I suck at welding, I decided to bolt the mounts in place on the frame rails. I didn't want to overheat the metal and weaken the structure. So I used some grade 8 hardware to bolt my mounts to the frame rail. Not pretty, but it works and is definitely not going anywhere. I now have four mounts holding the engine/tranny in place.
Crossmember I made since the stock one gets in the way of exhuast, oil pan and mounts. Not great, but should do the trick.
The metal shop - welder, sledge hammer, recip saw, grinder, fire extinguisher
Shift linkage - cut and welded ends of integra linkage onto prelude linkage
Clutch cable routing. Prelude originally had hydraulic clutch, but integra had cable. Removed the hyrdo master and slave cylinder and made custom bracket to attach clutch cable to prelude pedal.
New gas pedal. Cut off top of integra pedal and welded onto prelude pedal to accept the integra throttle cable (prelude cable was much longer and had different ends).
Added fuel return line to stock fuel sending unit. Also had to run new hard line along driver's side door sill for return line (since car was carburated and will now be fuel-injected). Added new fuel pump.
Cleaning up firewall
Getting started on the wiring! Stock integra harness being labeled so I can pull out only the wiring I need.
Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still plenty of work left to be done......