NEW and improved Headunit installation:
I've added a Gamma Headunit and I just got my hands on a brand new CD Player which will be installed in the Glove compartment...space permitting.
The Gamma, a Blaupunkt model from the UK, this one has the removable keypad for the radio presets. This is a little bit rarer than the run of the mill Gamma's.
The Wiring plugs behind the Gamma
And the diagram from the top of the radio. I had to run quite a few wires since my car had a Double Din Can-Bus radio from the factory. The Illumination, Power, Ground, Gala, and K wire had to run to the proper places in the car. This radio uses the 3LB wiring to display int he FIS cluster, and so far I haven't found a way to get this to work in my Immob 3 FIS cluster. If anyone has some tips for me, I'd appreciate you dropping me a line.
12/06 update: The FIS displays perfectly fine, just needed to recode the soft coding to refresh the Can-Bus Gateway. My car uses 00007 as the soft coding.
Here is the front of the CD player:
Back of the unit:
Illumination harness in baggie:
I had a PIE VW adapter which plugged into the CD Changer post in the hatch of the car. When I added the Gamma, I spliced the wiring from this adapter to the Blue CD-Changer wiring plug behind the Gamma so I could use my ipod with the new radio. This unit emulates the CD changer data protocol to enable the RCA's which send the audio into the radio.
I'm using two of the pins from the harness which I cut off the PIE adapter to extend the illumination lead to the glove box. I'd like to keep the harnesses intact in case I ever remove the unit.
I removed the stock tweeters, and the wiring harness fits perfectly into the illumination lead behind the cd player, this will be spliced to the other end of the PIE harness seen in the above picture.
This is the extension cable for connecting the new Cd Player to the Gamma.
The CD Player is mounted in the glove box, I had to do some trimming in the rear of the box, and I used an old Alpine Din cage to mount the front of the CD player to the top storage shelf
Another front view
This is a view of the trimming which needed to be done to the back of the glove box. I used a nut to solidly hold the cd player at the back of the glovebox.
Here's a side shot to see how much the player protrudes from the back of the glovebox.
Well, after all the fiddling, I decided to try a Blitz Safe auxillary adapter since the CD player would not recognize my PIE auxillary adapter. The Blitz Safe came in tosay 12/28/06 and I'm happy to say that it worked perfectly first try. So the last piece of this blast from the past is to get the gala wire connected behind the cluster. Not very time consuming, but it's getting cold out now and the plastic is quite brittle.