Friends, I have sad news to report. John the, owner of this car, took his own life last February. He is the guy that you see in all these pictures. He was a good friend, and as you can see very talented bodyman. This site is dedicated to his memory, may he rest in peace. I have bought the car from his wife, and plan to finish it, just as he wanted it done.
This page is dedicated to the restoration of John's
69 Hurst/Olds. The next week we plan to make an intense effort on this car.
Although, this is not the start of this restoration. A brief explanation
is on the last page you just linked from. So, here we go!
June 19, 2000
Today, we pulled the engine out, and pressure
washed it, and the topside of the engine bay.
We also, started fitting the body rotator brackets
to the car. I hope tomorrow to have photos of the car on the rotator. Not
many photos today, just the engine after cleaned. We noted that the car was
in real good condition underneath, this will make our job much easier!
June 20, 2000
Today, we spent most of our time getting the
car setup for the body rotator. Once brackets were fitted, we pulled the
rear end, to clean and paint, also, to lighten the load on the rotator. We
were impressed with the way the rotator was easy to move around, even with
the car on it. The rotator was built by a couple of friends, Dave and Jim,
June 21, 2000
Today we spent pressure washing the
under carriage, it cleaned up real well. Found many new front-end parts,
but have new parts for it anyway. I have a few photos, one of John pressure
washing, one of front end, after being cleaned, one of the only rust holes
in the floor board....
In this photo, we are marking the metal that
has to be removed to repair the rust damage in upper photo. Tomorrow, we
will show you the rest of the repair.
June 22, 2000
Today, the metal was removed, with a cut off
Note... the original joint in the front of
the section. This is where the original lap joint was. The spot welds were
drilled from the bottom, and the old metal was removed at this joint. The
new plate will use the original joint, and spot welds will be reproduced
The new plate was tacked in place at front
joint, and the plate was fitted, with a cut-off wheel, from underneath....
Here, John is "stitching" the plate in place.
The stitching actually prevents the metal from warping, from heat build
up. Each seam was fitted and stitched in place, until it was attached all
the way around. Once stitched in place, John went back and connected the
stitches, son the seam was complete....
June 23, 2000
Today, John smoothed out the welded joints
with a 4 inch grinder....
Then, he sandblasted all welded surfaces,
and treated with metal prep. And used a small amount of filler to blend the
Once painted, this repair will be virtually
I spent the day sand blasting the rear end,
and control arms.
This wraps up our week, working on this car.
We will now go back
to working on the weekends. I will try and
keep this site updated, as we make progress.
It's been awhile since I updated, so here
We have painted the frame and underbody,
as well as the firewall...
We have also gotten all front end pieces cleaned,
sandblasted, and painted in preperation
to be installed on the Hurst... We used the
system from Eastwood, to do the cadium coated parts. We were skeptical, but
were very surprized and pleased with the results....
We installed all front end pieces on the car....
Please go to page two