My original radiator support was pretty average - had been repaired before and had some gremlins which had been bogged over before so I thought a rares replacemnt would be the go. Had head heaps of complaints about them being straight, not curved which is true. I am not one for originality so I thought I'd try it out - I think it worked OK.
Measured up the ends and scribed them and cut off the original.
New Rara Spares Piiece, This one is straight and the bottom lip is different. I reckon I can make it work in 3 flat sections.
New one is dead straight, It needs to be bent in 2 planes.
Comparing new with old - I'll have to make up for this difference somehow.
First up, I'll make the new rad support fit the nose cone. The rares one has a slot on the bottom on each side. I cut it 2mm wider, turns out that wasn't neccessary. I also cut the 2 other sides as shown below which only left the small U channel at the bottom connecting the sides. It bent nicely into shape and after about 10mins tweaking and test fitting, it bolts up really nicely to the nose cone.
In the end, I got it fitting nicer than the original one.
Hammered this out flat both sides. In the end I cut an extra 30mm out here but still good for lining up.
First test fit and it looks awesome - 1mm gaps everywhere except the very ends. How sweet is that.
No additional trimming at all, I can't believe this was straight off my measurements and first cut. Just a little hammering each side to take the twist out of things as the new panel being welded in is in a different plane slightly. Nothing a little hammering and welding won't fix.
A little slit on the side x2 :-)
Everything off to make cuts above, final check and wire brush pait for welding.
Final line up. Gaps are perfect, looks big because it is twisted slightly.
Tacked channel at bottom
Cut out 25mmmore each side
Bit of welding and hammering
Made up a couple of these.
1 side welded
From the back
Lots of careful grinding
A little different at the end here now but looks neat. I reckon the nose cone fits better than before.
Other end also spot on.
All done -- very happy with the result.