That's mom and pop,the people that made this purchase possible back in 1985,it was also my highschool car.,Fast forward to 1989,I had the car painted charcoal gray,installed a twin turbo hood,80-82 rear bumper and new interior.I drove it for two years then it just sat for seven years.I put the car up for sale in'98 for $2,500.00 although the elements had got the best of the car ,It was a bargain for a running vette.....This is my '74 stingray. These are also the first pics of a long and costly project. To start with a good foundation the old paint was completely stripped and any repairs such as stress cracks to the fiberglass were performed at this time. the materials used were ppg brand, and the paint is base coat/clear coat torch red with a very light dusting in gold. The doors,t-tops,hood,and fiberglass bumpers were painted separatly from the body.The complete body was block sanded for many,many hours to maintain perfect body lines as well as the sexy curves. Mr.Sanchez begins to treat the doors with ppg sealer.
The block is a 350-400 c.i.d blueprinted and balanced 4 bolt main.It was magnafluxed and dipped in the hot tank,rebuilt with a degreed hydraulic lift fireball camshaft, steel crankshaft, high volume oil pump, roller rockers, steel valves , shaved 2.02 heads with a double roller timing chain,performance quadrajet carburator,k&n air filter, flame thrower ignition system,four core radiator for extra cooling...etc. There was no chrome at this time. The transmission is a 400 turbohydramatic with a B/M shift kit,electric down shift, and a 2,500 stall converter rebuilt by J.C,the rear end was also overhauled at this time.After the engine was tuned and broken in,it was time to start the cosmetic part of the rebuild.The outer parts were again disassembled from the engine and sent to the chrome shop.This was also the perfect time to rebuild the vaccum operated headlight system by repairing the actuator canisters,replacing vaccum relays,override switch,and the color coded hoses and,inline check valves.Once the light system was 100% operational the hoses were again replaced with steel braided hoses,and the actuators were covered with chrome covers.These simple modifications really sharpens the headlight compartment.For supreme handling the front suspension was reinforced with gymkhana heavy duty upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends,upper and lower control arm bushings,performance coil springs,idler arm,bilstein gas shocks all the way around,and to minimize body roll a one inch sway bar was installed.The power sterring pump,hoses,power sterring cylinder,and power sterring valve were replaced,the sterring gear box was rebuilt and adjusted to factory specs.The rear suspension steel leaf spring was replaced with a state-of-the-art fiberglass rear spring.It's a smoother ride,quick response and weighs eight pounds versus the stock unit's forty pounds.The trailing arms were disassembled,recondition,and re assembled to blueprinted factory specifications with all new inner and outer bearings and races,seals,bushings,yoke flange,and stainless steel parking brake kits.The brake system was also rebuilt with all new master cylinder,stainless steel sleeved brake calipers,proportioning valve,brake rotors,stainless steel brake lines,and caliper flex hoses,the brake booster was sent out to be rebuilt and chrome plated.
The undercarriage was coated with black p.o.r.15 and treated to these chrome parts. motor oil pan ,oil filter cover,transmission pan, dust shield,tunnel insulation,spare tire y-strap, along with a complete carbon aluminum 2 1/2" exhaust system with custom triple plated tips.Jason Dowdy is "THE MAN" when he volunteers to install a set of heavy duty competition strut rods and shim and adjust the rear independent suspension.
This was a new interior when the car was charcoal gray. Due to the new red paint on the body it had to be changed to black leather.Super Dave volunteers to start the procedure,this guy must be non-union he worked his butt off without breaks,thanks little buddy. With the interior completely stripped,the steering column was rebuilt,the electrical system was overhauled,every interior light bulb replaced,a/c ducts resealed,the windshield was replaced with a shaded one, the flooring was treated with a anti-heat sound deadner sheeting. Afterwards the audio system wiring was rerouted to accomodate the rear 120watt 6"x9" alpines,front 4"x6" infinity speakers,two channel 200 watt Memphis amp, 12 disc sony changer, rear compartment l.e.d lighting,whistler 2000 radar detector and a classic car stereo that mimics an analog style manufactured by custom audio.