This is my 1980 Thunderbird coupe. I had the car since 1999 and started posting details back in 2005. It started its life as a "hand-me-down" from my brother. When I aquired the car, it was stock with a 302 which had some serious carb issues. It had also recently been involved in sideswiping a pole, damaging lots of the passenger side. I realized it had potential since it did have a V8, it was rear wheel drive and it was a Fox body; sharing the same platform as the Mustang. I began working on the project around 2000.
I stared with replacing the original 2-bbl. intake and carb with an Edelbrock 600cfm and a Performer intake and eventually I went with a Performer RPM AirGap. We didn't have any emissions laws so the tangled mess of smog hoses and related parts went into a dumpster. I think that just getting rid of all that junk made it run better and cleaner.
It now has a "warmed up" 302. Although the short block is mostly original, the stock smog heads were replaced with a set of 1969 truck 302 heads. I fully ported and polished them after having them shaved to just about 58.5 cc. They have standard size after market valves, with under cut stems to aid in flow. The heads were reassembled with all after market components matched to the cam.
The short block is mostly stock with the exception of a Summit 218/228 cam and a double roller timing chain. The exhaust has finialy been converted over to Flow-Tech 1-5/8" primary, equal length long tube headers. The exhaust runs 2-1/2 from the collectors to a set of Flow-Tech "purple hornies" glass packs. The exhaust no longer runs out the back. It now exits in front of the rear tires on each side. I had been dragging my feet on this conversion over almost 13 months. In the meanwhile the car had been torn apart in my driveway.
The transmission is a C-4 automatic with a "Transgo" shift kit and a B&M Mega-shifter, on the floor. Eventually I want to swap to a higher stall converter and add a trans cooler. I have a TCI Breakaway to install hopefully in the spring of 2015. I have this new conveeter for about 7 years..I need to get on it. I originally put this page up on 2-20-05. Unfortunatly, the lousy photo is a few years old.
It had a bunch of work since then to include replacing the small 14" rims with bigger 15" rims along with much bigger tires. I installed a set of 5 lug axles and 5 lug front drums.
I installed 87-93 11" Mustang front brakes booster and a better master cylinder.
I have done some body work since this photo. I got rid of the original front bumper, replacing it with one that does not have the "grille look" to it. I added a Mustang hood scoop... not the one you see in the photo. I swapped to a Harwoon cowl type scop. I decided to make it functional to accomidate my taller RPM AirGap intak. The new photos will show all the mods.
I’ve been meaning to post photos since 2006..I think its overdue. It all stripped down to have the car's exterior completely redone in the next year. I scrapped and peeled off the vinyl top and will be repainting it black, possibly silver on the lower half or possibly with stripes of some kind. I started on the interior by tearing out the original front bench and replacing it with original T-Bird front seats.The interior was all maroon, but I accented it with a new black carpet. The electronic dash was replaced with a LTD dash to include a 140MPH certified police car speedometer and a LTD factory option tach from an LX. I installed a center council from the came LX. I was going to try to find a set of original Ricaro bucket front seats (found on the anniversary bird) but went with racing buckets from Summit Racing instead. I replaced the stock open 7.5 rear with an 8.8 Trac-lok rear, from a late 80's Mustang. It had 2.73 gears, however I be swapped in a set of 3.73 gears.
The rear coils were replaced with heavy duty springs. Airlift suspension bags were installed inside the rear coils and Enegery Suspension parts finished the job. The car was origionally equiped with air conditioning. Most the stuff was missing when I got the car, so I started to replace the missing A/C parts.
I'm hoping to have it all functional in the near future. The first photo is a couple of years old. The others are more recent as I have been working on the project. New photos and lots of additional info will soon be added over the next few weeks.