1983 Mazda RX-7: InteriorWhen I bought the car, it sadly was an automatic. The GSL badge, rear disk brakes and LSD rear said that was ok for the time being. When I had found a 1985 parts car with a standard transmission, I jumped on it seeing as it was like $250 USD. I took it apart and found the gear ratios were different then list, looked up the parts and found that the previous owner had made the tranny into about a $2700 racing transmisson. That alone made the cost worth it. I also took the doors, some interior shit and the pedel assembly. Problem was the pedel assembly doesn't line up inside the cabin. My dad took the two assemblies with him to work and fitted the '83s bracket with the 3 pedels. Then installing it was interesting and was probably harder then the transmisson removal from the '85, the automatic trans. removal and the manual installation combined. You have to drop the steering column and steering box that is under the bonnet, slip that above the column and bolt everything up. Re-bolt the steering shit and your good to go. Now, the auto trans. has cooling line which you need to plug. to get the shifter assemblies changed you need to take most of that dash apart. All in all it took about 3 days total, which a day and a half was spent trying to find a fucking starter that worked. Pep boys sucks, I went through 4 before I found one that worked. Although that one only lasted a week.Now your thinking was all this work worth it. With the automatic transmisson I got raped by a '92 Saturn SL....the single cam engine. It was very shameful, but with the Manual, remember it is not a stock manual, I raped the saturn, a 240sx and a mustang gt all in the same day. I found an awesome shift knob out of a Volkswagon Jetta or Passat, can't remember which 1, but it was a 5 speed knob same layout as mine, and it was made of solid mahogany (spellings off I know) and it also reduced the height that much more on the short throw shifter. I also got bored with the Guages so I took them out, scanned them, printed up new ones on transparency paper and erased the original faces. They turned out decent IMO.