Interior Before Back Window After
The second project i took on turned out to be a larger problem then i expected... Judging by the uh delicious smell coming from the carpet, i knew there was some more work to be found on the floor panels so i enlisted the help of my dad. The side trims, bench seat and seat belts were easy to get out (haha prolly too easy to be safe), but the side and rear kick panels were a pain! We ended up leaving one of the back panels in during the whole project. Ripping out the old nasty carpet was easy, seeing how it wasnt even glued down. Both floor pans, but especially the driver's side had rusted through along the welded seam (who's brilliant idea was that anyways!?) leaving about a 1" wide by 1 ft long hole in the bottom. Surrounding the gash there were hundreds of other pin-head-sized holes, makin the floor panel look more like a cheese grater! There wasn't any type of insulation or dampener underneath so water was just splashin through to the carpet.
Using a power driver and multiple wire bristle heads we got rid of as much of the rust as possible, which unfortunetely made every hole about a 1/4" wider of every side. Then we covered the entire floor of the car with self-etching primer. From under the car we used aluminum tape to seal off the holes from the bottom, then poured a layer of epoxy over almost the entire floor plan, using fiberglass mesh to help repair the biggest holes and seams. From the bottom side we sprayed a bunch of undercoating to help seal out water.
During all this i had removed all the door panels to keep them from getting dirty, so while they were off we sprayed some 'litium grease' on all the hinges and locks, which helped smooth things up a lot. We replaced a crank shaft for the wing window and replaced the armrest pads. I also bought some silver paint and touched up the trim on the panels. We put the doors back together, laid down some dampening pads in the floor, and spent the rest of the day putting in the carpet. Luckily everthing went smooth there, it fit well and looked nice. Ha ha then i bought some huge ass SS floor mats. Put the bench seat, seat belts, and kick paneles back in then finishied it all off with new door sill plates.