I picked up the WRX in June of 2005 off a used car lot in St. Louis, MO. She sat pretty stock when I purchased her except for a few very minor bolt-ons, springs, and gold Rota Subzeroes. It had 23,000 miles on it and looked immaculate. I was sold on the car the moment I saw it (didn't tell the salesman that however).
After driving the car for a few weeks I was determined to make the thing faster. I ran across a good deal locally on a lightly used Autospeed axle-back and HKS mid-pipe. I then completed the exhaust from the turbo back with an Invidia bellmouth down-pipe (later wrapped with DEI header wrap). My original engine management setup consisted of a Cobb Accessport v1 running Cobb's off the shelf 93 octane Stage 2 map. While this was nice and the power was substantially improved it just wasn't where I wanted the car to be.
I researched replacement turbos for what seemed like an eternity before finally deciding on the IHI VF-34. While certainly not the largest of the turbos I was looking at, it fit the criteria of what I was wanting from the car. Big horsepower is nice, but I was looking more for a quick spooling upgrade that would not be that far removed from it's stock configuration and drivability, yet offer some increase in power. The VF-34 with it's roller bearing design was exactly what I was looking for. Supporting mods for the larger turbo included a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump as well as JDM STI top feed pink injectors.
Now she was finally starting to drive like I wanted her to. I was now running Cobb's off the shelf VF-34 93 octane map and was fairly pleased with results. I still however was running pretty rich and figured a good tune was in order. In June of 2007 Axis Motorsports in St. Louis brought in Jorge Carillo of P&L Motorsports in Chicago for a weekend of tuning - I reserved a spot as soon as I caught wind of it.
I wanted to get a few more items added on before my tune, so i picked up a 2006 USDM STI top-mount intercooler and added that to the mix. Painted the outside of the tank just to make it look a little cleaner.
When I arrived and got my car on the dyno it was at 246 WHP. After my tune I was putting down 277 WHP (see dyno chart on page 1). Sadly, I was limited to 16 PSI due to an oversight on my part as I had forgotten to change out the factory boost solenoid. This will be corrected by my next tune (TRUST ME). On a side note, Jorge w/ P&L and Ron w/ Axis are two of the nicest people I have met and are a pleasure to work
Well, I've been at it again. I recently put the STI limited Brembos on as well as DBA slotted rotors and Goodridge stainless brake lines - topped it off with EBC red stuff street pads. I also did a bit more work in the engine bay - including deleting the air conditioner, porting and polishing the intake manifold, deleting the TGV's, Perrin fuel rails, catch cans, silicone turbo inlet and a silicone MAF hose. Added some gauges while I had everything torn apart (Boost, EGT, and Oil pressure). After all this a retune was in order. I am now putting down 299.1 AWHP at the wheels as well as 297 lb ft torque. Again the tuning was performed by Jorge of P&L Motor Sports So far so good, the car is turning into quite a little monster.