So, my 020 FF decided to "take a break" and I decided to take the plunge and install a 02A CDA off a European Mk3 GTi 2L 16V. It obviously requires a LOT of modifying (mounts, cable shifter, shafts, flywheel & clutch and clutch mechanism), but I think it will be worth it. Last thing I want to do is repair and re-install the 020 only to have it break again. Here's a picture of the 02A I purchased:
The ratios are a bit different from the 020 FF I had previously. Here's a graph with my 17" wheels and a 6200rpm (current) redline:
And here's one with the soon to be 7500rpm redline:
As you can see it has longer 1 - 3 gears and shorter 4 - 5 gears, so I expect it to make the Caddy quicker.
I at last had all the parts required to do the install. It took a while to source, but I think I was very lucky to get all the parts in such a relatively short time. Some items like the 228mm flywheel & clutch bracket/actuator are not really items readily availible in SA. The Caddy has now been out service for almost six weeks...
Good bye 02$hit!!
The two boxes next to each other; the main difference being the shorter, fatter body of the 02A due to the two internal shafts as well as the meaty diff casing.
Some of the additional items required to make it work in a Mk1 shell; clutch bracket/lever, custom mounts & 02J shifter. I had to modify the 02J shifter bracket which fits onto the gearbox to make it work on the 02A as well as the places where the shifter cables fit to the gbox itself. So, it will be a 02J shifter with the 02A modified to make it work...Items I still need to get is the speedo cable and some way to make the clutch work, still not sure which clutch cable to use.
Here's a picture showing the old 210mm flywheel, Sach copper clutch and pressure plate. I'm now going to run a 228mm flywheel, VR6 Sach Power Clutch & pressure plate. I'm really looking forward to have a "normal" clutch again. The button clutch was heavy as hell.
I though that I'm going to fit the shifter on top of the tunnel, but soon realised that it is not going to happen, as new holes have to be drilled in the fire wall and there is just no space to do it with the motor and dash installed. I then decided to mount it from underneath, so I need to make a few modifications to the tunnel to make it fit. I was also not able to remove the installed gearlock, which was going to be in the way and not used if the shifter was mounted on the tunnel. I think I will still be able to use it if the shifter is fitted from below.
Organised chaos! After about six hours the box was in and my time was up; had to rush home to watch the Saturday Super 14 rugby games and enjoy some J&B.
I will be completing the install during the next two weeks as I can only work on the swop on Saturdays, and I think it can still take half a Saturday or two. Then it is up with the boost and redline.
I also purchased a Turbosmart 2-stage boost controller, which I'm still waiting for. I'm going to use this to run low/high boost through the gears. I'm thinking 7-8Psi in 1st & 2nd and 15Psi from there on.
We've managed to complete the swop this weekend, more about it later... I've been wanting to fit coil-overs to the front of the Caddy since I bought it, I was not really happy with the ride of the drop coils and shortened shocks it had, and the driver's side was 10cm lower than the passenger side. This really bothered me, i like things to be perfect. I purchased a set of V-Maxx Mk1 front coil-overs:
Before the install (pardon the dirty wheel well):
During the install:
The ride is much better and I'm really happy with them. As I said earlier; we managed to finish the 02A install. Every thing is sorted, had a custom clutch cable made up and fitted a Mk2 2.0L 16V speedo cable. Just a pity I could not really test it, my management decided to screw me and go hay-wire. The Caddy is missing an back-firing like crazy. I will send the thing to the manufacturer this week to get it sorted. I can not wait to go for a proper drive with the new gbox. No more nothcy shifting, no more button clutch, no more gearbox breaking paranoia!
Disaster! Was out enjoying my new 02a's ratios and disaster struck; nailing her in 3rd, shifted to fourth, EGT and AFR looked okay, bang! Loss of power, clacking noise under bonnet, pushed the clutch in and motor dies...coasted to standstill, motor turns, but does not want to start. Towed her home. So, I pulled the plugs and No.4 looks like this:
Not good. Still need to strip, but I'm sure it's going to be time for a rebuild. Just hope the head is okay...
So, I cleaned out the garage and pushed her into her new home for the next few months:
One hour later:
Pulled the head, luckily it is okay, but the same can not be said for no4 piston:
I'm still not sure what happened, but suspect a ring gland broke causing all hell to break loose. The piston is also now split into three pieces. I'm just glad the pieces did not come loose...My plan is to buy a 2E 2.0L tall block and fit the rest to it, head, turbo, etc.