DIY painting and polishing rims
If you are trying to do this be warned tohave a lot patience. I lost mine after about 12 hours of work. :P Because of the hurry some work is should have done was skipped or rushed over. As a result I have to do it over again.
I was tired of the stock wheel caps. I really wanted black rims with polished lip but money was low. So I searched for some cheap secondhandwheels to fool around with. Luckily I found some with good tyres and some curb damage for a very good price.
This is how they looked like
Painted them black afterwards
Cut/grinded away paint and damage with a cutting disc
Got rid off most curbdamege, could done more but I was not patient. Then polished with cutting paste, after that I used Fine paste
Here halfway done
If its smooth and metal it can be shiny polished.
Used or needed:
- Dremel with ameril cuttingdisc (removing paint/damage) ,Polish vilts/cloth (polishing)
- Paint (Motip)
- Clear paint/varnish
- Tape and paper for masking
- A lot of patience, I did about 2-3 hours a rim which even wasnt enough
- Set of rims
Some tips after my experience:
- Take your time andd be patient.
- Clean and de-grease good, I didnt so some patches of paint kcoming off
- Use clear paint/finish to give your result some protection
If everything goes well you have some cheap unique set of rims made by yourself:P