Here's a shot from Day One.
This is the Engine Bay from my dead Mitsubishi Tredia I decided to convert to run on electricity.
As you can see, the engine bay is filthy and the engine is dead. Just perfect for a conversion car.
Time to give it a wash and start converting it!
Full details (including videos) of the entire progress can be found at my site Here.
Wow it made a big difference cleaning it. It was filthy inside and out. Much more detail of the intense clean up can be found at the website.
Once complete, the performance should be the same as the gas engine if not better although it'll be silent - and it'll never have to use gas again.
In this photo (above) I've just installed the throttle-box (aka Pot-Box) which the gas pedal attaches to. This will tell the motor how much power to use when driving. It feels just like the cable's still attached to an engine.
Here's a snapshot of the slow, painful process of installing the motor. It's a heavy sucker at 80kg (160 pounds) and we didn't have a hoist!
You can see the installation of the FB1-4001A DC electric motor is complete. I had to get an engineer to join the two together (it was a bit beyond me). That's the hardest part of the whole install taken care of.
The boot is covered in cable at this point. Each battery will have it's own set of recharging cables (12 batteries in total), and there will be six batteries in the front, and six in the boot (trunk).
Next step was getting rid of the old gas filler cap and replacing it with a recharging socket.
That went in nicely as you can see (although my camera started to play up).
Hey presto! Plug installed and ready to use.
The next step was getting the new battery racks and the control panel. This was achieved fairly easily - having a skilled welder to rely on always helps. :)
After the racks were in, it was time to install a shelf for the control panel to sit on. The Control Panel has the "control box" on it which is full of all the gadgets that turn the car on and off etc:
You can see the "Controller" (the brain of the electric car) on the right of the white panel.
The batteries went in easy and we had them all connected up in one afternoon/evening ready for the big test drive!
Here you can see the car in action on the road. While it wasn't quite legal, after doing major mods sometimes you just HAVE to take your car on the road to see how it goes. And man, it went GREAT!!!
There's a video of the first test drive right here which shows me being a dick as usual on camera. Still, the car works, which is all that matters.
It goes great too! It has slightly better acceleration than with the stock engine under 35mph. Can't complain with that I guess!
There's still some stuff to do but the hard part has been done!
It's right on schedule to be completed and driving (legally) before Feb 08.
We're currently 90% complete in December 2007 as I write this.
I have heaps of video clips and photos of the conversion process on my website if you want more detail or have questions.
I invite you to check it out!
New Zealand Electric Car - www.KiwiEV.com