Here is my 1971 Leyland Mini. So what I hear you ask? Well this one has a Starlet Gt Turbo engine in it. And what is more I did everything myself. This includes designing the subframe and making it, dropping the engine in and doing everything else to get it going. I had previously installed vented discs and four pot callipers from the Metro (like everyone else) while it still had a 1275cc Mini engine in it.
I got sick of the maintenance and reliability issues with the 1275 and so originally sort to change the engine to get a nice quiet reliable engine into the Mini. Originally tried to get a Suzuki GTI engine package but this proved extremely difficult and anything I got needed a complete teardown. So the Starlet GT was the next option. A thanks must go to Brad McKay who came up with the idea first (in Australia at least, and I dare say the world). But I think I have the honour of being the first to do it myself and get it on the road. Many people lay claim to having done the work themselves but I have the website to prove it www.mpdesign.id.au!
In addition to just simply putting the engine in which took me 18 months approximately I have also done some other modifications. Namely:
- Aftermarket larger turbo (KKR 280)
- Front Mount Intercooler (can you spot it - haha) and made the intercooler piping as well
- Custom turbo exhaust manifold (yes made that too)
- Custome 2.5" exhaust front to back (made that)
Performance wise she goes. Top speed is not that high at approximately 200kmh (120 mph) but that is mainly restricted by the short gearing in the Starlet box and diff. However she gets there real quick I would say somewhere in the 5 second bracket 0 - 60mph. The trouble is getting traction being a front wheel drive car. One day I will take her down the strip and settle once and for all what kinds of times she runs.
As for power, at the moment I have her on a modest 12 psi boost and she has 171hp at the wheels. On 15psi she put out 186bhp. Now you might say this ain't that impressive. But she has a curb weight (oil, full tank of gas etc) of 740kg (I have the weighbridge ticket). So basically we are talking in the vicinity of 250bhp per 1000kgs (ton). To give you a comparison, the new VE Clubsport weighs 1860kgs wet and puts out 411hp at the crank (so probably a bit over 300 at the wheels). This equates to a bit over 170bhp per ton. Getting the picture.
The things I need to sort now are a piggyback fuel computer. The things runs 12:1 AFR off boost and a super rich 10:1 AFR on boost. I also have to sort out the suspension as I think the softness contributes to the wheelspin. The things will spin the wheels in top gear at 50mph.
Anyway that's my car.