So here is a pretty simple way of getting more out of GW's braking. There has been arguments about disc brakes, hydroboost and such, but for the money, this is the best I have found. Parts are cheap and there is no cobbling togther of junkyard parts. It simply involves going to the parts store, getting a set of reman 87 GM 2500 calipers, brake pads, ( I opted for carbom metallic) and brake hardware kit for the clips. I also popped for caliper mounting blots. All told spent about $100 at Autozone for everything. Pretty much a bolt on but on thing you'll find is that the stock rubber brakelines will not bolt onto the calipers. You'll see in the pictures where I cut the tabs off with cutoff wheel then ground them down. Other than that there were no mods neccessary to bolt these on. Now my stock system was shot, so I ended up replacing all the hardlines with a stainless steel brake line kit from BJ's Offroad and all new rubberr lines. I needed a new master cylinder so I grabbed a good one off one of my other trucks. You can see the difference in the piston size of the caliper. This creates more clamping force on the rotor. Brake feel is great and I am not scared of panic stops any more. I hope you find this useful on your project.
here is the stock caliper on the axle
Here you can see the differnce between the stock and GM caliper
As you can see the brake pad is identical
Here you can see the the mods I did to the calpier to get the brake hose to fit. After this just bolt them on and bled the brakes. Don't forget your anti seize and grease.
Update, vehicle is sold released back in to the wild. New owner is enjoying it.