Well, I don't have much money and I would like to get a 2.25in. exhaust system on the truck. The smallest section on the exhaust is around 1.75in. in diameter. Talk about choking an exhaust system. I need to let it breath!
So, I head on down to my local junkyard to see if something interest me. I asked if he had any old exhaust pipe around that I could use. The man pointed at a section of the yard and said that I could have anything over there. Meaning, I could have it free! I was gone!
I did find some like new pipe that was 2.25in. It also had at least two 90 degree bends that I needed. There was also a pretty straight piece of pipe that still had a muffler on it that was 2.50in. It didn't look that old eihter. I took these pieces home.
Now for the big find. I needed to find a header pipe that was 2.25in. I had heard of a guy using a header pipe off an old Ford truck with a 390 V8. The pipe needed to fit inside of the exhaust manifold. He had to do a lot of grinding on the exhaust manifold to make the pipe fit. The slant six exhaust manifold only is 2.0in. in diameter. I didn't have a grinder and I didn't want to do that much work.
Doug's Site Sixinarow: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sixinarow/
Here are Doug's pics.
Went looking for a Ford V8 engine. Found a couple of 1977 and 1978 Ford 460 V8's. They still had a piece of the header pipe still on the manifold. The first one I took off had been partly undone. It had been hit and had a crack in it. I did notice that the bracket and the pipe were flush, meaning I wouldn't have to do any grinding. It will mount on the slant six exhaust manifold straight on. The other one was perfect! These exhaust maifolds are on the Ford 460 V8 from 1977 to 1987.
Here's a pic of the header pipe.
I don't have a welder either! I needed to put my pieces of pipe together with pipe connectors. I wasn't able to find a pipe connector for my header pipe to connect to my exhaust pipe. I have a brother-in-law that new somebody that would weld the 2.25in. connector to the header pipe. I was lucky! I would have had to get an exhaust band clamp, which is kind of pricey.
Here's a pic of the header pipe welded to the pipe connector.
This is a pic of the first half of my exhaust. I used the whole piece I got from the yard except a part of it that was a 45 degree angle.
And this is the last piece. It is 2.50in. pipe with muffler. All I really used of it was about 6in. before the muffler and down to the tail pipe.
Here we go! I started by using liquid wrench on the exhaust studs. I let them soak for a week. I was afraid I was going to bust one or two and that would have been a bigger mess. I was able to use an impact wrench on them; which helped a lot! I needed to open up the stud holes on the header pipe, because the pipe was a little wide for the studs.
Here's a pic with it hooked up next to the original. I'd say it's breathing now!
I could have cut somemore pipe here, about 4in., but I was lazy and left it alone.
It's not pretty, but it works! Thanks for looking and maybe I started someone's imagination!