Hi All, It's Sunday, Sept. 23rd. and I am back at it. Some of the guys who have been following the restoration have commented that I am promising updates and not following through so I thought I had better get downstairs and get some solid work in today. My first order of business was to get the Nova's rear end up in the air. I had found out that I couldn't get my portly frame near the rear of the car to work. Maybe I should start that diet again?.................NAH!!!! It was easier to jack the rear end up and get some jackstands under the axle. That freed up another 5 or 6 inches of stomach room for me. The following pics were where I had left off a few days earlier.
I have to say that the farther back I reach, the dirtier it gets. After about only a half and hour stripping, I came out from under the car and looked like I had been working in a coal mine for eight hours!! I'm getting too old for this stuff!!! I made it a point to get at least to the back seat floor pans so I stripped and stripped, rested a little underneath, then kept stripping again. I stayed under the car for an hour and a half straight and found myself under the rear seats. Thank God!! I felt as if I had just worked out in the gym. I had strands of wire wheel sticking me in the arms, back, and legs. It's like jumping atop a cactus! Those things hurt. I had Richie pluck out as many as he could find and got back to work. Here are the end results of today's work.....
It was a great day all in all. I have a couple of errands to run this Wednesday morning but will hopefully get back at it by the afternoon. I will not promise anything, though I will try my best. I have to scuff up the floor with some 220 grit paper in order to get it ready for 2 coats of primer. I may start painting Wednesday being that I am so far back towards the rear now. This way I can join the front clip again. This will allow me to pull the car out and turn it around. This way I can jack the rear up higher, remove the rear end as an assembly, and finish up the undercarraige. I will of course have to mask off the front half to keep it from getting dirty again. See everyone soon!
It's Tuesday, Thats Right!, Tuesday, Sept. 25th, and I came from work and decided that since I need to apply 2 coats of primer that I should try and get one coat on this evening leaving me one more tomorrow morning. Who knows?, maybe I'll be able to get the finish coat of Chassis Black on by tomorrow evening. I will not bore you guys with any stories but just show you the pictures of my progress today. I will say that if you are going to use this Silver Chassis Primer, long sleeves and latex gloves are a MUST!! This stuff finds it's way everywhere. No matter how clean you are trying to be you'll find silver paint somewhere on your person and on the floor! Anyway, Check it out!!!.................................
I will have some pics posted by tomorrow evening and hopefully you'll be seeing Black!!! Take Care.
Wednesday morning, the 26th, and I dropped Richie off to school and ran back home to get the second coat of primer done. It went on just as easy as yesterday so it only took about an hour from start to finish. I was glad because I was getting real dizzy from the fumes. I had to sit down outside a few minutes before packing everything up. Make sure that you have proper ventilation when using this stuff and that you wear a quality respirator mask. Maybe next time I'll heed my own warnings. Anyway, its hard to tell the difference but here are the pics of the second coat finished.
You can't tell from the photos but I can say that 2 coats are a must to get the right coverage. I will let this coat dry until this afternoon and hopefully I can get the black chassis paint applied. I will play it by ear since the heat and humidity will be high this afternoon. If its too humid I will then have to wait until Saturday. Check back later to find out.