PAGE 1- Car intro
PAGE 2- 350 tear down and build up
PAGE 3- Stereo stuff
I just bought an engine from my uncle. It's a Chevy 350
I also got an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold along with it, sweet!! This engine is going to be built over the winter and it will probably be swapped when it starts getting warmer, so I can ride my motorcycle while the T/A is out of commission.
Well today (1/9) Chris and I started the tear down on the engine. Unfortunately, it's stuck on the floor right now while we work on it because I can't find an engine hoist. Don't worry, it'll be on stands when it is being built up.We removed the oil pump, and loosened all the connecting rod bolts while it was down. Then we tipped it up on it's side and tapped the pistons out using a wooden dowel, as suggested in SBC rebuilding book. All the pistons were numbered and bagged.
I suggest you get this book if you're considering rebuilding your SBC:
Piston #5 was being a bitch and one of the nuts wouldn't fit a socket. I ended up just using a metric socket (I know, I'm sorry!!) and it slipped over what ended up being a gash on the nut. Once all the pistons were out the main cap bolts were removed and the seals removed. Since I don't have a harmonic balancer remover, we hit a roadblock. I'm going to try to borrow one from my auto teacher tomorrow. Dang! We were so close to getting the crank out!
Today I borrowed a 3-bolt-puller from my auto teacher to get off my harmonic balancer. Then I pulled off the timing chain and sprockets. I pulled out the camshaft, removed the main caps, then pulled out my crankshaft.
I looked up the block casting code and I believe that these are the specs on this engine, stock:
350 Cubic inches 4.00" Bore, 3.47" stroke
8.5:1 compression ratio.
250 HP @4300 rpm
350 ft. lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm
I plan to add the Performer intake manifold, as well as a Performer-Plus camshaft, which is a little bigger than stock. It should let me still pass smog as well as maintain efficient vacuum, but still give me good power. This engine will be almost entirely street driven, but will occasionally see some track time. I think I'll use the stock, iron 76cc heads for now. The combustion chamber is really big, which is why the compression is so low. That definetly reduces possible power, but that's what I have to work with for now. In the future I may or may not buy some Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads, but those are in the $900 area... not something I can afford as of now.
1/12 today I took the block and crank to the machine shop to have the block magnafluxed, hot tanked, and honed, and have the crank ground. i should hear back monday on the journal size, then I will be ordering up a whole slew of parts from Summit. cam/rod/main bearings, Performer-Plus camshaft, timing chain and sprockets, set of shocks, some various gaskets and bolts, and springs (if I can decide on a set!)
1/16 the machine shop called today and told me the crank and block and mains are all good and that the crank is standard size. i'm ordering cam/rod/main bearings, as well as freeze plugs for the shop to install. i'm also ordering a timing kit and camshaft. i'm holding off on the shocks and the gasket kit for now because they are not necessary right now. i also bought a K&N air filter to put on my 305, since it will work on both my current 305 and the new 350.
2/22 it's been a long time but i havent gotten really far. i've been stuck with all sorts of stupid problems. i had to find a proper rear main seal, and i also have to work around school schedules. some parts i've bought for the engine build:
Edelbrock timing chain and gears, cam/main/rod bearings by Clevite, Fel-Pro gaskets, and Sealed Power piston rings (cast iron with moly facing). The last few days I've spent cleaning up the old pistons and rods and removing the old rings. i'll get some pictures when i get back to school on monday.
2/26 finally got back to working on the engine. heres some pictures of my pistons cleaned up:
2/28 today i put in the main bearings, rear main seal, the crank, and the first main cap.
3/3 i have redone all of my pistons, since i was not very satisfied with how clean they were the last time. i soaked them in simple green overnight (diluted 1:1) and then rinsed them thoroughly, dryed them, numbered them, then put a light coat of wd-40 then bagged them. yesterday i also got my Edelbrock cam (3702) and Sealed Power rings (iron with moly facing)