Purchased in June of 2006, the car is nearly finished. It lacks only the fabrication of an engine cover and coolant line covers to be street legal. As with most of my cars, this will be a work in progress. Since the car still sports its' original red lacquer paint, it will be receiving a fresh paint job (sans the black stripes). I'm not sure what color it will be, but you can rest assured that it will be attention getting, and probably a little "retro" as well.
Wheels are GM Ralley, 15" x 7" front and 15" x 8" rear, with with GM Police center caps. Four wheel disc brakes utilize S-10 Calipers and Rotors up front with '69 Corvette rear Rotors and Calipers in the rear. Exhaust system is comprised of a set of block hugger headers connected to a single (dual inlet, dual outlet Dynomax muffler oriented transversely in the old engine bay and exiting out the center of the rear. Rear suspension utilizes stock Corvair trailing arms with the addition of a DeDion bar allowing for elimination of the Corvair strut arms. This improves ground clearance.
As for the drivetrain, the 350 only has about 1000 miles since overhaul, and with the exception of adding an electric choke, I will limit the work on it to cosmetic issues only. The transmission is a Saginaw 4-speed from a '66-'69 Corvair modified to mount to the bell housing, and will receive an overhaul this winter, along with the 3.27:1 POSI differential.
After the paint and drivetrain work is completed, the interior will receive the treatment as well. The 1989 Toyota Celica seats will likely remain, with a new set of skins (hopefully leather, but who knows). Five point seat belts will be added for the drivers side, and three point seat belts for the passengers side. Cockpit includes Auto Meter supplemental gauges for Water Temp, VoltMeter, Tachometer and Oil Pressure.
Just an update on the status of my changes to the Corvair. One of the biggest problems with this Crown conversion is the clearance between the drivers seat and the alternator drive belt. The original alternator location was behind the drivers seat and provided the driver with very little leg room. Well, I've partially resolved that issue by relocating the alternator to the passenger side of the engine. This change was not without consequence.
All of the coolant lines were located on the passenger side as well, and that meant that I had to re-route the coolant lines to accomodate the alternator. In addition, I also had to relocate the fuel pump and regulator, so while I was at it, I plumbed it with -08 AN fittings and stainless braided hose.
I also took the opportunity to relocate the tachometer from the top of the dash into the center of the instrument cluster for a factory appearance. I also manufactured bezel's for the auxilary gauges to angle them towards the driver. You wouldn't believe how much easier it is to read them now. I then removed the factory AM radio, since it had no power or speakers connected to it. I had a couple of factory radio delete plates in my stash, so I put one of them to good use. Once the engine cover is in place, covered and insulated, I'll consider installing a stereo system, but nothing fancy, since the only thing seperating it from sticky fingers will be the roof fabric. Since the vehicle didn't have a horn when I purchased it, I decided to add this safety item. The horn button is from a 1977 Monza Spyder. I'm not sure I will keep it, but for now, I think it looks pretty good.