This is our project. This 61 Chevy pickup was bought in 1998, I had to do a little brake work but it passed New Jersey state inspection with flying colors.
In the fall of 2000 I started to take apart the bed to replace the wood and I just kept on going. I decided I wanted to do a frame off rebuild with a few custom mods.
Now after taking it apart in Jersey, my wife and I moved down to Texas and in the summer of 2004 we brought it down. We had to put it back together just enough so we could haul it on a trailer.
Because of work and getting settled in a new house, work on the truck has been slow, but lately my wife and I have been working on it quite a bit, but right when we were really starting to get into it, there was another 61 Chevy for sale on Ebay, we needed parts. It turns out the one on Ebay was in way better shape then the one we had, so we now have a "new" 61 Chevy which we will be using, the "old" is going to be the donor. This is our "new" 61 Chevy.
These are some pictures of the "old" 61.
When I lived back in Jersey, we took the cab off of the frame. This is what it looked like before tearing it apart.
All of the front body work is off in these two pictures.
My dad was helping me get cab off the truck, the cab is heavier than is looks.
This is me and at the time, my future wife, taking off more stuff. She is definetly a keeper.
Taking apart the "new" 61 Chevy.
We stripped down the "new" 61, and wouldn't ya know it, the frame is in good shape. We tried POR 15 on it, but it didn't last, so we powdercoated instead.
Before and after...
April 14-15 2007
Took a caravan down to Hico, Texas with 2 other friends to soda blast all the '61 body work. Some pics from the weekend.
May 15 2007
Next, the front suspension. Note the copperhead color of the torsion bars. This will eventually be the color of the truck.
May 28 2007
We added the rear suspension, now it rolls!!!
July 9 2007
Xmas in July!!! Next came the engine. We went with a 350 block from a shop in Dallas stroked out to a 383, added an Eagle bottom end kit, and a Trickflow top end kit for 465 HP and 450 ft-lb torque. That should get us back and forth to work okay.
Here's a picture of the engine as we received it and after the engine buildup ready to connect to the transmission.
The detailed engine build-up can be found here:
Our Xmas present to each other was a T-56, 6-speed, manual transmission. It's gorgeous.
Got a bell housing with the right bolt pattern to connect the engine to the transmission. It needed a little cleaning...
Installed the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and bell housing. Make sure the pilot bearing is installed in the proper direction, otherwise the transmission won't seat.
Next, connected the engine to the transmission in preparation for installing on the frame.