HOW I BUILT MY HALFASS RAM (COLD) AIR BOXES
For $10 to $30 & a little time.
Not being good with computers.
This was the only place I thought I could
put this so other 3rd generation owners
from ThirdGen.Org could easily access it.
I also don't own a camera.
My wife usually take photos for me.
But I don't know how long it will take to
talk her into some pictures and I didn't want to wait.
Some snap shots were added 5/7/08
This step by step should be read knowing
that I'm also not mechanically inclined.
I don't own many tools.
And I don't possess the knowledge on how
to use them very well.
You also may have to use the expand feature
on the drawings in order to see the detail better.
That said here goes nothing....
I made my cold air boxes out of
A flat sheet of steel ducting.
It was called a 16� single joist pan.
It actually measures 16 1/2 � by 30 1/2 �.
Each sheet is $4.99
It came with a female end seam already made.
I got 3 of them @ Menards (local hardware store)
One to practice making & fitting.
and the other 2 as finished products.
Total so far 3 x $4.99 = $15
My goal was to have something similar to
hawks 3rd generation's Ram Air boxes.
>Hawks 3rd Genderation Ram Air Boxes
My 1991 Camaro RS-B4C doesn't have fog lights, so
my secondary goal was to only scavenge about
half the air going toward the radiator from each side
of the grill.
I used a Black & Decker workmate table as a vice.
I had to buy sheet metal scissors ( the pair cost me $12)
New Total $15 $12 = $27 tax
I measured the sheet metal for 10 inches.
Cutting it down to a 10" x 30 1/2" piece.
(see figure 1 & 1a )
Then I measured from the seam & put down lines @ 6 3/8 intervals.
The last line added a 1/4" to make the final seam fit together.
(see Figure 1c )
I put the metal in the workmate and
folded it over on the lines I had made.
After each fold I took a rubber mallet & a hammer & went over each fold one at a time as I made it.
I was trying to give it a nice crisp fold.
Using the B&D workmate allowed the metal to wrap
around while I made each fold.
You end up with a loose box 6 3/8 square. and 10" long.
Then you can cut off the excess at the
1/4" line ( the last line you made)
(see Figure 2)
I test fitted mine to the bottom of the plastic air boxes.
And found there were some plastic molding obstructing a tight fit.
I made some slits in the top of the new steel boxes.
2 on one side & 1 on the opposite.
(see Figure 2a )
To match the molded plastic so that they mated up real snug.
I has some small nuts/bolts & washers lying around the garage.
So I drilled 8 holes.
( one on each side of each gutted air box &
new steel box combination )
I use the nuts/ bolts to secure the cut off air boxes to the new sheet metal.
The hard part comes in fitting them in.
I used my pocket knife to cut a large square holes
in the rubber membrane that is between the air boxes
and the air inlets from the grill.
I think this membrane is described in the
step by step on the ThirdGen.Org web site @
TGO ram air
There is a separate little plastic/hard rubber duct from behind the grill leading to the radiator.
When I cut the rubber membrane I was careful not to cut this duct.
Here is where photos would probably be better then words.
I took the steel boxes I just made.
And designated a front side & a back side.
The back will remain 10� long.
The front I measure down from the top
5 1/2 � and cut the rest off.
(see Figure 3 )
Next I cut in from the front toward the back 2 1/2 �.
(see Figure 3a )
Then I cut down from that point 1 1/2 �. ( Let call this point A) (see Figure 3b )
From there I made a slight angular cut toward the bottom.
Next I drew 2 lines.
One from point A to about 1 1/8 � from the top of the metal box. (Call this B )
The other line was from point A straight toward the back side (Call this C )
(see Figure 4)
I made matching lines on both sides of each box.
Then I made a cut from point A to point B.
Then I cut from point A to point C.
I bent the backside which is 10�.
I bent it along the 1 1/8 inch point at the top.
This was to get the back side angled away from the
cross support in front of the radiator.
Next I bent the back side again along point C.
this was to make a scoop to meet up with the radiator ducting.
( Remember I only wanted to scavenge part of the air.)
So I bent mine to fit the top half of the air ducting.
After I figured out what would work for me I drilled another
Hole in the side of each of the new steel boxes & put in a washer/bolt & screw to hold each side in it�s shape.
( If you have a rivet gun & know how to use it this might be easier)
(see Figure 5 )
finish & fit photos....
Hope this helps or
at least gives someone a better idea
on how to build a simular air box.