2006 (old stuff, but entertaining)
Interior upgrades were very much on the list as the interior was absolutely garbage when I bought the car
I cut and welded and stitched a complete set of seats from a 1996 Jetta into Taz. It was a lot of work but very much worth it
I did a blackout slit style on the marker lights to make them look smaller and carry off the wartime "blackout lights" image.
A couple of joke shots as Taz is from Victoria and I'm always saying he's never "seen" snow.
Taz, meet snow....snow, this is Taz....
He sold me a beautiful used trunk strut which works 100% better than my old worn out one and a used single round chrome grille which I am contemplating using on the odd occasion when the mood strikes me.
Taz got put back on the road a few weeks ago and I've been tearing up the streets with my buddy Jeremiah and his Audi 3.2 engined Golf GTI
Fortunately, all my winter tuning efforts were not wasted and Taz has been running stronger than ever......unfortunately this exemplified the fact that my shifting was still horrible and getting worse every day. I decided it was time to do something about the transmission and the bum clutch (it wasn't releasing properly, so the clutch was always dragging slightly on the flywheel). I called an Import repair shop and asked for a quote on clutch replacement......$800 and up.............needless to say, I decided I would drop the tranny myself and save a few bucks.
First things first, one must collect the tools and help you will need for a project such as this. Tools are in Taz (who needs a truck when you have a Cabby?) and help has arrived in the red Golf.
Engine support tool has been installed (thanks goes to Matt over at the152 for this great idea) and Jeremiah is starting to dismantle stuff.
Of course, one must ALWAYS have beer handy when attempting any repairs on a Cabby.
Well we got the Tranny out after much grunting, groaning and hacking (yes, I involved a cutting wheel in the process....don't ask) and I inspected the clutch.
It was burnt and worn pretty much right down.
A close inspection revealed the culprit to be an improperly seated retaining clip on the pressure plate. This is why we always do our own work kiddies........
Cheers to a job well done.
Update: New parts arrived today in the form of a 210mm Sachs clutch kit and bolt kits for the flywheel and pressure plate. I also figured I'd treat the tranny to a full flush and brand new full synthetic gear oil.
Took the flywheel in to be resurfaced and polished the tranny up while it was out.
Then we slapped the puppy back up there.
Taz was being a little cranky about the whole operation and I snapped one of the CV bolts and stripped the passenger upper strut mount bolt during torquing. Fortunately my buddy Jeremiah had a collection of used CV bolts on hand (at home), so we were rescued. Had to make a trip to Canadian tire for a grade 8 bolt and nut, very glad they are open until 10.