Since we didn't know where to put the body for now, we just dropped it on the Blazer frame. I'm sure it will take a lot more time to get the body mounts situated and everthing lined up. We've already discovered a fairly big issue; the body needs to shift back 6 or 8 inches, yet the fan is already scraping the tranny cooler. I'd consider a remote radiator, but I don't have a clue where it would go. More than likely we'll modify the front clip somehow, although that's a long way to go, considering we still have to fit a radiator in there somewhere. I also want to clean up the body and rewire before we bolt it up for good.
Here's its current state of affairs. Looks pretty cool, but keep in mind we have 3.5" wood blocks keeping the rear from crushing itself. We'll have to cut about a foot off the back of the Blazer frame and trim the fender wells so they're not setting on the frame. I think that Mazda in the background might even donate it's wiper guts to replace the gable and pulley system the Willys still has. They worked when I bought it, but gave up sometime last spring. (It's so sick of all the carnage, it's puking it's AC guts out.)
I'll keep the updates coming. The weathers turning, so maybe less time on the lawnmower might mean more in the shop. (Those who know how huge my yard is might be a little skeptical.)
Haven't done anything except to put the Blazer body on the Willy's old frame, did that to get it out of the way. I've decided to shift the motor back, due to the engine to engine compartment alignment. I figure it would be easier to relocate 3 drivetrain connection points than numerous suspension/steering points or modify the body somehow. I may still change my mind because of the negative impact that would have on the drive shaft angle. I figure I'll probably learn the hard way.
Haven't touched the project for a while now. Hopefully the new year will bring new (more) time to play.
Holy crap! It's been over a year since I've worked on this thing. I didn't think it had been that long.
Anyway, I aired up the tires and used a forklift to push the body around to get it more lined up with the chassis. During that process I put a fork through one of the rear hatch windows....dangit...
I had to remove a piece of sheetmetal at the back under the tailgate to get it to set properly on the chassis. Had to cut a bunch of little bolts which I thought held it in, but found out those were for the tailgate and the sheetmetal was riveted on under that. Got that out of the way, which was necessary. I also took the fan off.
I dropped the fuel tank to get it out of the way. Figured out later that I probably didn't have to. I think the very back of the body will align with the rearmost crossmember. Might have to trim the frame a little back there, but the worst thing might be the departure clearance when the tanks there.
Set the body on the frame and aligned the rear wheel well with the wheel. There is no clearance at all between the front clip and the water pump pulley. If I didn't change any part configuration, I would have to move the drivetrain back 11.25 inches. Which is too much. I think I can get away with moving the tranny cooler and putting an electric fan in front of the radiator to save some space. That still leaves me with more than 8 inches to come up with.
The next step is to move the motor back. I'll probably loosen it up and shove it back just to see how far it goes.
Put a few hours in tonight. Got the drivelines off, the motor mount and crossmember bolts off and used a come-a-long to pull the drivetrain backwards. That sounds much easier than it was. Lots of bolts to take off. The fuel pump hit a flange by about an 8th inch, the 'almost flush' brake line connections weren't flush enough and a number of hoses needed disconnecting.
It did turn out that I could pull it back as far as I needed to, which was the pleasant surprise of the night. I still don't have enough room to put the stock fan on, but now that I think about it, the old one fit and it was a GM 350, so maybe the fan it has will work. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I'll still put the tranny cooler in front of the radiator, inside the grill frame, but it may need a thin electric fan.
I'm imagining the steering column to gear box connection is going to prove to be the pain o' the century. I think it's going to take a shortened steering column, 2 cv joints and a support bearing. All custom, of course.
Damages of the night: I hooked the forklift post on the corner of the right rear quarter panel and pulled the body out. Eh...nothing a mediocre body guy can't take care of.
Going to work on it tomorrow. I haven't taken any more pictures, cause there's really nothing different to see.
3 more hours on it. Put the front mounts & crossmember back together. Got the 2 rear crossmembers bolted down. That's it.