I flushed my clutch fluid today and thought I'd do a write-up to show how I did it. The fluid that was in there was the original fluid...more than 27 years old! So it was pretty well worn out.
Here's the setup I used to catch the fluid. I put the rag in the jar just to keep the tube from flying around when I started pushing fluid through the system.
This is what the fluid looked like when I started...obviously needs changing!
I took an extra cap and drilled a hole in it the size of my air gun.
Then I pressurized the fluid reservoir with the air gun. I set the pressue on the compressor to about 35 psi. Leave the white plastic piece in the cap...this will help to diffuse the air stream so you aren't shooting the air straight into the fluid. Also, there is a small hole in the cap that needs to be plugged with your finger. You could plug this with some epoxy or JB Weld, but it's a handy way to release the pressure by just removing your finger, so I left it this way.
This is what the reservoir looked like after I had pushed all the fluid out of it...yuck! I cleaned all this out with several paper towels, then ran 4 or 5 tankfuls of fluid through to completely flush the old fluid and junk out of the system. By the way, I used Valvoline synthetic brake fluid.
And this is what it looks like now...much better!
Here's what the captured fluid looks like...pretty nasty, and this includes the 4 or 5 tankfuls of clean fluid!