Log In | Join Now
Home > BMW > 7 Series > 2001 > Decepticons7's BMW 7 Series
Want to become a Fan?
Login or Register
Login to Message
View the Ride
Forward to a Friend
Updated on May 06, 2012
How to tell If your e38 has the sport package with the ///M touch.
1. All 740iS' came with steptronic transmission. This is probably the most expensive and least likely upgrade to be done by someone looking to mimic a sport.
2. The 740iS' have a different final drive ratio than all other e38's.The shorter final drive ratio (3.15 versus 2.93:1) and a higher stall speed torque converter, both of which improve acceleration;Under the hood is a new, revised 4.4L DOHC, 32 valve (with variable valve timing) V-8 that pumps out 282 hp at only 5,400 rpm and a strong 324 lb-ft of torque at a low 3,700 rpm. This is an improvement of 14 lb ft of torque at 200 less rpm than the 1998 version. The new engine also qualifies as a low emission vehicle. Smooth would be an understatement.
3. Sport cars have "sport-tuned suspension". M-Technic to be precise. Stiffer springs, shocks and anti-roll bar that give the 740i a snubbed-down feel in the twisties. The front suspension is lowered by .8 inches, with firmer spring settings (+10% front, 25% rear). Shocks are 100% firmer and front roll bar is thicker (22 mm versus 20.5 mm). The slighter lower profile really enhances the 740's looks as well
4. 740iS' got the Vavona Redwood Trim. This trim is noticeably different from the Burr Walnut of the regular 7's. This trim can be change fairly easily though, albeit not inexpensively.
5. The Shadow Line trim - The only chrome on the exterior of a 2001 740iS is located on the kidney grill and the trim piece on the trunk. There is no other chrome on the outside of the car. This is not a 100% accurate way to distinguish a 740iS because some people change the trim pieces to match their personal taste; either from black to chrome or chrome to black. The front headlights have lower cutouts and with new grille slats, the front end has a smoother look. With most car designs starting at the wheel wells, the BMW has some of the best, with the front having large, deeply flared wells that interrupt the upper body crease. Also added body colored side skirts, and front and rear air dams (all were black until 2001) and crystal clear turn signals.
6. The Sport seats are USUALLY present on sport package cars, however, I believe the comfort seats could be opted for particularly when ordering features like active comfort seats. I'm fairly sure that the active comfort system was not available in sport seats.18-way power seats with more aggressively contoured side bolsters and (power) 4-way lumbar support
7. The M-Techinc Sport steering wheel is present on 2001's. It's fairly similar to the wheel in your M3 so you should be able to recognize it.
8. Last but not least, the M-Technic-parallel or M-Par's wheels came on the 7. This is by far the most common upgrade for non-sport e38's so it probably won't tell you much. Be sure to check the spare tire, there is a possibility that they didn't spring for the 5th M-parallel, but don't rely on the presence of these wheels to constitute a sport.
*info from e38.org, bimmerforums, bimmerboard, and dealer invoice.
Eisenmann Race Performance Round (4x83mm) application staggered Click links below!
Shout outs: Umnitza! Eisenmann! Strong Strut!
Displaying entries 1-5 of 54
FLIP A PLATE
5★ See our LICENSE FLIP HIDE KIT (car/bike) ★★ 007LicensePlate.com
Nice 7 series! Be sure to join us at www.7Social.org
Sweet bimmer! If you have a chance, stop by the new BMW forum at www.thebmwforum.com - We now have live chat!
Ah the true 7series best body. Keep up my friend, Stay away from american trash cars like Cadillac Chrystler Dodge.
sick Car! New forum for VIP car owners and Fans|= http://BippuCar.com/
Show Older Comments
You must be logged in to post a comment
Copyright © 1998-2013
CarDomain Network, Inc (a Source Interlink Media LLC Company). All rights reserved.
Part of the SIM Automotive Digital Network.
No, please link my existing CarDomain.com account with
for quick, secure access.
Forgot your password?
Yes! I would like to create a CarDomain.com account with my