The next part to get modified is the white plastic carrier;
part number 1. The carrier that came with the car had idiot light, not gauges like the coveted U14 cluster. I used a carrier from the U14 cluster because I had it laying around and it is easier to modify.
The stock carrier has a solid back, where-as the U14 carrier has the gauges that are removable, leaving the back open.
There is less to have to cut out. You can still use the solid backed carrier, you will just have to cut more out.
Once everything is removed from the carrier, you need to remove material so that the Cobolts will fit into the carrier.
In this stage, I used an air powered die grinder with a carbide cutter.
I only have the speedo side shown, but the same goes for the tach side, which hardly needed to be modified.
Here is what it shold look like from the back, notice that the gauges fit perfectly. Remember that part number 1 that you previously modified must fit flush with the carrier with the gauges installed.
Part number 1 can now be screwed back into the carrier (part number 2)
You should now have what looks like this;
Now that the stock gauges are no longer used, there is no high beam indicator or brake failure indicator. I incorperated them into the front bezel, using a blue 12 volt light, and a red 12 volt LED. We were not able to find a blue LED on short notice, but it would have looked better.
The lights will be shown later when the bezel is modified.
To be able to remove the bezel with out having to cut wires, I modified parts 1 and 2 again. I removed the green plastic lens' and opened up slots where the turn signal were.
Don't forget to open the back of the carrier also.
I used 2 and 4 wire connectors for this, but if you can find 3 wire connectors, that would be better. (again, because of the time issue.)
Now, some of the wiring can get done. In this photo, you can see the connectors that I used. Remember, you will need to remove this again some time in the future, so make it easier now when you have the chance.