Alot has happened since my last update. Project 281Ranger is now licensed, insured, on the road, and heading for the drag strip.
Recent additions include:
Brakes, balljoints, tierod ends, alignment
New street tires, 235/60/15 front, 255/60/15 rear
Lakewood traction bars
26.5x10x15 Goodyear slicks
Since my last update I also picked up a new daily driver.
Well, I took the Ranger to the drag strip on July 1st. Wasn't the best day for racing, mid 90s and humid. I made 18 passes and the Ranger never missed a beat. Best run of the day was a 14.32 (13.64 corrected). Traction wasn't a problem, but the 3.73 gears and stock torque converter were. I need to get this thing up into the power band quicker.
Here's a vid of the last run of the day. drag vid
First step was the gears because swapping rearends could be done with less down time. A converter will be added when the trans gets rebuilt this winter.
I purchased a 2000 Ranger 8.8" with 4.10 gears and trac-lok from Bay Auto Parts in Green bay, Wisconsin. At a price of $265 shipped to my door I could hardly go wrong.
I took the Ranger down to the local car show just for the hell of it. There were 12 trucks in my class and the Ranger took third. I was shocked! There were some really nice trucks in the class and I wasn't expecting anything.