These pictures are from when the truck was lifted in 2007.
From lowrider to lifted suspension and 3" lift kit, just because I got bored!
I decided to lift the truck because I got bored. I could not find a way to lift the front at that time so i rode like this for two weeks.
This is the way it looks now after all the mods and painting it flat black, because the old paint was chipping and peeling off.
before 3" lift kit and with cranked torsion bars after the 1 and 1/2" upper balljoint spacer on:(03/14/07)
Lifting this Mini proved harder than anticipated, with more try and errors than I thought possible.
To go from one inch clearance to 3 1/2 was interesting.
The picture on the left shows the truck with old worn tires and then I still only had about 2" clearance from the fenders I bought new front tires 235/70R15 28" overall diameter and my clearance droped to about 1" of clearance (picture not shown)
I was already scraping the fender and the back of the inner fender where it joins the firewall on sharp turns. After the new tires I would rub on just about any little bump.
So long lowrider stepnotch: march 07
and out with the lose half your groceries after shopping because of the big holes in the bed of the truck.
CANDO Specialties made me a pair 1 1/2" of Upper control arm balljoint spacers. I would have gone with two inches instead now that I know it can be done.I had to cut the corners facing the front because before they were made, I did not consider the clearance for the brake line clip holder.
Other than that they worked great and they will build them this way for anyone interested in being able to lift their truck and extra 1 1/2" from stock. THANKS CANDO!
The thing that prevents a B2200 from being lifted so much is the upper arms ability to go lower due to the bump stops right under them. Sure you could cut them and lower them, but the spacers provide better articulation and travel for the shocks as well and it makes it easier to get your aligment done, being that your upper A-arm would not be at such extreme angle.
I also went out of my way to have a pair of lower control arm balljoint spacers made to place under the arm and the balljoint under the spacer, I had the spacer made at 1"
After some cutting grinding and effort I got the lower balljoint spacer to fit in there real nice.
But that victory soon ended when I realized that even after modifying the control arm and triming the arm a bit as when most people do when they flip their balljoints for lowering.
The bracket attached to the spindle for the steering column will hit the balljoint bolts being that the spindle was now too low. Even after removing the outer bolts to see if that would solve the problem, it just wasn't enough. had I left it like that I would have gained 1" more of lift as well, but would have lost 40% of steering capabilities. Then truck would never be able to make a U turn again and barely a right turn as well.
After installing both upper balljoints the torsion bars were cranked up some more and to my surprise my theory proved correct after all.
It wasn't that the torsions were to tight that made the ride too hard but the fact that the upper control arm was hitting the bump brackets at every single pot hole because there wasn't any travel left in the upper A ARM.
I had to remove a leaf of the rear because it was just way to high with the extra main leaf that i had added in there. I had previously bought a set of leaf springs at a junkyard and I took the eyelit off the main and added the whole thing on top of my main. I am now running 2 mains the short helper and one of the slim ones.
In this photo, I had way too many leafs spring in the rear and the front was cranked up as high as I could get it to go without having the upper A arms hit the bump guards.
This foto was during the first height adjustment and removing a leaf.
This is the result, before the 3" body lift kit. My tires still rubbed a bit on sharp turns.
WARNING: Please wear your safty goggles or glasses and any other safety you can think of. It is too often that people get themselves too involve and forget these things and a simple project can turn into a trip to the hospital.
This is a picture of myself working on grinding my lower balljoint spacer prior to me figuring out that they would NOT work. well as you can see I wasn't wearing any protection at all. I ended up getting a piece of metal gring embeded into my eye, the pain did not go away tghe next day nor the day after so i went to a clinic where they did not find anything, the next day my eye was swollen and really sore, my whole head throbed with pain. another visit to the clinic bingo they found the piece of metal, send me right away to an aye doctor to perform a small eye surgery where they require you to stay awake while thy numb your eye and pick at it with a fine needdle, yes a needdle. that's not all.. after they removed the piece of metal and remaining fragments the doctor pulls out a fine grinder like one use in a dremel kit with a fine tip grinder. And like a dentist grinding away at some teet, there he was grindidng a piece of my eyes away to make a cave to remove the rest of the fragments. after being so tense and nearly fainting and puking on the trash can, I was surprised to hear i did quite well (yeah Right) well $180 dollars later between doctor visits and prescription eyedrops and what not. I hope ya'll can learn from my stupid mistake.