1. LS1 Front knuckles with 2 piston calipers, off of 99 Firebird V-6 $125 2. LS1 Rear calipers with E-brake bracket off of 98 Trans Am $50 3. New LS1 rear E-brake cable (2 each) Autozone $70 4. Rear LS1 E-Brake drum off of 01 Camero SS $70 5. Slotted/Vented Rotors with pads off Ebay $200 6. Steel Braded Brake lines off Ebay $100 7. New Rear Left and Right Brake hard lines from Dealership $20
This was a great learning process. I searched on line and found only front LS1 brake swaps, never the rear. I realized I wanted the whole package because they are all bigger, and I didn't want to mix the pieces together, just go for the gusto. So I said to hell with it, and bought all of the LS1 parts. Here is what I had to do:
So I started by sand blasting all of the calipers, brackets, and knuckles. I painted them with a high temp brake paint from Walmart, worked well too. I pulled the front knuckles off of the 94 by disconnecting the Tie rods, the top bearing and bottom bearings holding the knuckle, caliper, rotor to the car. (and of course, disconnected the brake lines) With that out of the way, I installed the 99 Knuckles onto the A arms and steering tie rods. Easy. I placed the slotted rotors onto the wheel hub, then installed the Caliper mounting bracket onto the knuckle. I made sure the caliper would center on the rotor, and mounted it to the bracket. I removed the small "soft line to the caliper and replaced it with steel braded. I had to bend the brake line bracket roughly 45 degrees so the line would fully reach the caliper and not bend it to sharply. Done with the front end.
The rear end took some studying on my part to not make this job into a nightmare. I took off the wheels and calipers. I had to remove the axle to remove the caliper mounting bracket. Ouch. After some studying in my trusty Hanes Manual, I removed the differential cover and found my next task. Remove a retaining bolt, that is keeping a piston in between the two axles. Removed the bolt, slid the piston out of the Yolk with a punch, and the axles were free to slide in towards the center. After sliding the axles inwards, I was able to remove a C clip holding the axles in the differential. Then the axles just slid out. Removed the caliper mout brackets, and replaced them with the LS1 style from an 01 SS Camero. This is where the fun began. With the E brake assembly installed, I slid the axles back into the differential, installed the piston, bolt, and cover. Topped off with some diff oil. I then had to rig the E brake assembly so it would stop the rear wheels. I placed the circular E brake pad into the assembly, set the rotor on the hub, connected the new LS1 E brake cables which are longer than the LT1s. I had to turn a small cam in the E brake bracket to make the E brake stop the rotor. I then installed the rear caliper bracket over the rotor, and slid the caliper with pads over the rotor. I replaced the left and right hard lines mounted on the rear axle because they can be bent to reach the new caliper locations, but I didn't want to take that chance bending them too far. (only $10 each at a dealer) With the new hard lines installed, I installed the steel braded lines to the calipers. All that was left was to install the wheels, bleed the brake system, and take my new brakes for a test drive. They work really well. Much better than the LT1 brakes. I am really happy with the results. The only problem was getting all of the necessary parts from dealers, autozone, junk yards, and online forums. But it's all done now.