This is a step-by-step of the DIY TSI modification...that "do it yourself turn signal intake" for all you non Miata folks...
This is what the turn signal looked like when I began. The turn signal removes with 2 phillips head scres frin the front of the bumper. The light itself is on about 6 inches of extra wire. There is pleanty of slack to pull it out. Twist the bulb socket to remove completely.
I used a unibit to drill out the far side from the new bulb. I purchased the bulbs and sockets from a local auto parts store. Something like Auto Zone or Pep Boys should work just fine. The hole for the bulds I use was 3/4". Yours might vary a bit, so make sure to double check.
Eventually, the front lens got in the way of where I needed to cut with the dremel, so the front go cut up next. I used the blue tape (masking tape would work well also) as a guide on where to cut. I can in from all the edges about 1/8 inch. This will later give the mounting for the screen/grill.
This area was "rough-cut" with the dremel cut-off wheel.
After the front lens was rough-cut (left picture), I then changed to a "drum-sander" attachment for the dremel. I used this to get the exact size of the opening I wanted. Take your time, as it is very easy to NOT get a straight line with the dremel. Once I was done with the dremel, I did a bit of hand sanding with 220-grit paper just to smooth things out a bit.
As I said above, I knew I wanted more of the backing cut off, and this is what the finished product looks like. This was done mostly with the dremel "cut-off wheel", and a bit of the "drum sander" tool.
Here is where I am missing a few pictures...so stay with me...
From here, I placed a sheet of paper under the lens, and traced the opening with a marker. This gave the proper shape I needed to cut from the grill. Remember that we have a 1/8" lip around the whole thing?
I then cut out the exact shape, and traced it onto the metal mest with a sharpie pen. I cut it out, about 1/8" further out than my tracing line.
I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel to remove a large portion of the original bulb housing. As this was my first one, I did not want to take off too much to start with. You will see later that a LOT more was cut off. I then pressed the metal mesh into place from behind, and glued it in place.
The glue I used is called CA glue. You can get it from most hooby stores. Its similar to super glue, but will not haze the clear plastic. You could also use clear silicone to secure the mesh in there. I cut my mesh with close enough tolerances, that I probably didnt need to glue it in, but I did anyway for peace of mind.
I will get pictures of the wiring later. Sorry. There are 3 wires going to the stock bulb. 1 red, 1 green, and 1 black for the passenger side, and the same colors (with white stripe) on the driver side. Black is for ground on each side. Green is for the blinker, and red is for the parking light. The new sockets I got only have 2 wires, so I opted to ONLY have blinkers. I cut the stock bulb socket off, stripped back the black and green wires, then used a butt-connector to attach the new bulb socket. Just to make sure, I taped off the red (parking light) wire. Obviously you can get new bulb sockets that use 3 wires....you just have to look.
The above is the finished product. One with the light off, and one with it on.
* The metal mesh is actually a rain gutter guard I got from Lowes.
Things to buy:
2) bulb sockets of your choice (about $3 each)
2) bulbs for above sockets (about $2 for a pair)
1) metal rain gutter guard ($1.65)
Total: About $10 with tax.
Drill/drill bits (up to 3/4")
Dremel with various bits (cut-off wheels and drum-sander)'
butt connectors or electrical tape
tin snips (to cut mesh)
Things I noted along the way....
1) Wear safety glasses when working with the dremel. At least for me, I ALWAYS have to hold the piece Im working on, so the debris hits me in the face...it just works that way.
2) Take your time. There is NO rush. Cut off a little at a time. When dont, you will probably cut off almost ALL of the grey plastic rear housing for the original bulb....its only plastic.
3) the wires colors listed above could vary from car to car, or year to year. I make no promises on that.
4) Since I do not have parking lights now, the blinkers flash faster than normal. This is typically a sign that a bulb is burned out. I know if I had a 3-wire socket, this would not happen. Im ok with it....
5) I worked on the passenger side first. It took about 2.5 hours. The driver side took about 45 minutes.
6) A 7 year old dremel will NOT run for 3 consecutive hours without burning up! (darnnit)
Thats about it. Good luck.