Turning my attention back to the engine, I cleaned and prepped the block for paint. I chose to just go with a gloss black, from the flat black it came in. I ... Show moretransfered all the bolts and hardware from the old block. I also installed a Jay's Racing PCV cover for better looks and to get rid of the bulky canister that normally sits there. I had to hold off on the build until I got a new set of oil squirters, since somehow the ones I had just upped and walked away.
With the help of my friend, Torr, the bottom end was finally assembled. I also purchased a few more items. I received a G5-M tranny with a Mazdaspeed LSD and Zxtuner axles from 2001zincsr. Appearance wise, they will need some TLC, but that will be taken care of in due time. I also purchased a Gates Racing timing belt. I should have the remainder of the bottom end put together by week's end. I am also in the process of sand blasting all my miscellaneous brackets to get them ready for paint/ powdercoat.
The oil pan girdle and Ford Racing oil pump were prepped and painted with Eastwood Alumblast paint. I really liked the cast appearance it gave. My water pump was next in line for painting. I also finished a set of motor mounts in flat black.
The water and oil pumps were installed followed by the ARP head studs. After making sure the block's deck surface was clean, I got a little help from my 4 yr. old installing the stock head gasket. This was followed up by the installation of the Esslinger head from my previous setup.
I decided to clean up a bunch of miscellaneous stuff with paint. This is all being done while the head was taken off and sent to Heidahl's to get torn down, cleaned and reassembled. It should be back next week sometime. Hopefully the entire engine will be assembled by next weekend. Show Less
While the head is gone, I focused my attention on the transmission. I first took the bell housing off to inspect the gears. Everything looked fine and I then... Show more cleaned it up with a wire brush and a Dremel. The tranny was then primed and coated in Alumablast paint.
I finished painting more brackets and miscellaneous engine parts and began installing what I could. I also painted the bolt heads for the tranny to add that little bit of detail. My next project is refurbishing my axles. They are really rusted out. I have already began sanding one down. Show Less