COLD AIR INTAKE
I received my cold-air intake, shipped, and this will be my next project.
I've since completed the &q... Show moreuot;short install" I haven't quite made enough room in the engine bay to accomodate the second mandrel pipe. So for now it's not truly a "cold air" intake.
^ Engine bay cleaned and washed, before CAI install.
^ BOMZ Cold Air Intake Kit
^ CAI installed, not complete. I have to find ways to make more room for the other mandrel pipe. Final placement that I want is behind the front driver-side headlight. The kit contained a mandrel pipe that wouldn't fit beside the transmission to reach the wheel well/splashguard. Might revisit this later.
I'm happy with the placement, good throaty growl from under the hood, and much better throttle response! :)
^ CAI Complete. Had to re-route some of the headlight wiring beside the coolant resevoir and remove the battery tray & mounting bracket.
^ CAI Routing
^ Tiiiight squeeze!
^ Bought a new, heavier grommet to replace the one that came with the kit. Included rubber grommet did not feel air-tight, and was torn during install. Replaced with "heater hose
To finish this project, I'll probably cut out and bend a small "gutter/heatshield" overtop of the filter. Just precautionary, to prevent hard rain from contaminating the new cone air filter. Show Less
Throttle Body and EGR Port Cleaning
First off I removed the electrical & vacu... Show moreum connections, then the top and bottom portions of the air intake, and removed the intake pipe from the TB.
Removing the TB was a little tricky at times... I discovered that removing the heater hose that connects to the back of the thermostat housing (below the air filter box) gave the room needed to come free. I did have to tap (plastic hammer) the outside edges of the TB on each side at times to get it off. DO NOT MAR THE MATING FACES, MARRING = BAD SEAL = NOT COOL.
Removing the coolant lines from the bottom of the TB became unnecessary after removing the heater pipe and this special plastic fitting.
^ Plastic clip-out heater hose connector (Removed)
Removal: Using needle-nose pliers, I removed the spring clamp from the heater hose, and removed the hose (expect coolant spillage). Then I squeezed the left-most side of this plastic part, and then with a flat-head screwdriver, gently popped/pryed the clip back (towards the front of engine).
I then used channel-locks to spin this part around with ease, to access the other clip, they just need to "pop" and then the plastic piece can be removed. I used the stationary bolt for the bottom of the air filter as leverage.
^ TB Face
I looked in behind the TB, and found the elusive EGR. I have a great shot of it below. This is hanging my camera by the strap in behind the engine, with the timer on. Photo is facing the front of the car.
^ EGR Valve
^ Ref. EGR Valve image from parts catalog (thx rockauto.com!!)
^ Placement of EGR Valve(Circled)
^ Placement of EGR is behind the biggest hose here(Circled)
And thus began the cleaning of the TB. I used about 3/4 of a can of TB cleaner affixed with a straw. Using an old toothbrush, I took my time to make sure I had cleaned as much out of the TB as possible, in all crevices and ports I could see. The good thing about the TB is that it provides a nice "resevoir" of TB cleaner to re-distrubute. The last 1/4 of the can I used to spray after my initial scrubbing.
^ EGR Port (Before)
^ TB (Before)
^ TB (During)
^ TB and TB Face (During)
I found the EGR port on the side of the TB closest to the windshield, it was visible, and not very dirty (maybe from previous spray-ins) and I pushed a paper clip into the port to aid any clogs. Using the straw from the TB cleaner, I also shot some cleaner right INTO the port.
^ EGR Port
Opposite the EGR port was a very clogged entry to the PCV tubing/valve.
^ After (I cleaned it better than this shot tho)
After cleaning the TB face and TB, I removed all traces of the previous gasket from the mating faces. In some spots I used an old debit-type card to scrape parts of the old gasket free.
^ Old gasket removed
I wiped and polished what I could reach within the TB, and after cleaning was done, stuffed a wad of paper towel into the "resevoir" of the TB.
I put the new gasket in, PERFECT FIT.
^ THE MONEY SHOT!!!
Slid the TB back together, finger tightened bolts, cross-tightened the bolts, reconnected the heater hose, the airintake, vacuum and electrical connections.
^ TB reassembled SHAZAAAM!
^ *chokecough* The aftermath was a very rank white cloud that hovered for quite some time, the engine started on first try.
I had the neg. battery cable removed for this entire project, so now it's time to wait and see if I show CEL again.
I HIGHLY doubt it, because I spent 2hrs cleaning and scrubbing in -10 degree weather. I don't think the TB had ever been cleaned with the amount of buildup in there. I wasn't planning to do this again for a while... hehe!! Show Less