This was my first car... I've had it for 14 years now, my uncles sisters husband (I think... I know it's someone not directly related to me) original... Show morely bought it new in 1964. I drove it everyday for about 10 years... built up the engine and transmission, and raced it every so often. Started restoring it about 5 years ago, moved a few times, got busy at work, etc... and it's been sitting unfinished ever since. Well I'm dedicated to finishing it now, with the intent to restore it and road race it... but this is a project that I don't expect to finish anytime soon - it's a lot of work, and I want to take my time and do it right the first time around (plus I only have the weekends to get anything done on it).
It has a 302 with a holly tripower setup on it right now, and is actually pretty quick. I have a 427w stroker waiting to go into it, but that's not going to be till after paint. And with all the new power I'll need a new trans and rear end... so the new engine may be put off for a little while, we'll see. The interior is stripped, I have a full cage (I still need to install the front bracing and the x bracing in the back, but I have it), all new adjustable shocks, front and back racing springs, relocated front upper control arms, new bushings, racing sway bars, and 4 wheel disc brake conversion. The fenders, front valance, doors, trunk, and rear lower valance are new, and the cowl hood is fiber glass.
An image of my old 3x2 Tripower setup, currently selling it on ebay.
Rear - Gas cap delete
Took a break this weekend from the 240sx and started back up on the Mustang. I started cutting the old floor out of the drivers side (it was rusted through), and am going to try to weld the new floorpan in tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Rusted floorpan removed - what a hassle!
New floorpan tack welded in place. Won't be able to finish welding till I relocate the fuel lines. I plan on running them throught the frame and replacing all hard/soft lines with braided, and dropping in a racing fuel cell to replace the old fuel tank. That's next I guess.
Spent most of the day at DriftBuffet, came home exhausted and only worked on the Mustang for a couple hours. I removed the heater and heater hoses. It left me with a few holes in the firewall - a large one where the heater was, and 2 smaller holes where the heater hoses came in and connected to the heater core. I cut some piecs out of sheet metal and patched the holes up... don't want anything too permanent in case I ever decided to restore the car back to stock.
I'm pulling the engine out to prepare the engine compartment for paint. I spent most of today removing all the wiring, radiator, fan, electronic ignition, etc. Hopefully I'll have the engine out tomorrow, I didn't have the bolts to hold it to the engine stand or it would have been out today.
Engine is out... my girlfriend helped hoist it out as I guided it.
Today I removed the original hard fuel line that ran from the engine bay, under the car, and to the fuel tank. Only a few brackets were holding it on, so it was pretty easy. Then I removed the wiring harnesses from the car... all of them. The only one that took a little work was the main interior harness, with all of the instruments and accessories. I wanted to keep it in tact in case I needed to reference or salvage anything from it when I install the new wiring... so it took a lot longer than just simply ripping everything out. The car had a couple of alarms and an aftermarket stereo system, so there were lots of extra splices and taped up wires. The wires are pretty old as well, so I figure I'll replace all the wiring with a Painless Wiring kit after paint. The last thing I need is for the wiring to catch fire when the car is all finished.
I installed the Shelby r-model racing apron today. I purchased it from Cobra Automotive, and it fit perfectly - which is a big surprise for a fiberglass part. In the first picture you can see the original apron and the new r-model apron side by side. Show Less