THE DONOR CAR FOR THE PROJECT
The infamous " Urban Fighter"
This car used to be an awesome... Show more ride,and endless kicking drivetrain,with an heavy duty suspension to keep the speed with low-profile tires through the curves...But a severe rear-end collision put an end to it's daily commuter life.
We dont see it in the pictures,but the rear doors rub on the quarter panels when they open,and some rust had weaken the floor,and it colleapsed on the impact.
-BUT- Many good parts are gonna go on the Citation,especially the front hubs&spindles,and rear axle to upgrade the X-body with the large 5x115 hubs and HD bearings.And the wagon already have the large 1 1/8" sway bar to replace the wimp 7/8" bar on the Notchback.
The Notch has been awakened after months of winter inactivities, to have it's small brakes replaced with HD units.
The Urban fighter has been awakened too, after all the snow has melt off it,to be driven at the end of the driveway,it's very last ride,to be stripped of all it's good mechanichal and body parts
Size difference between the 5x100 X-body hubs and optionnal 5x115 HD hubs of the A-body.
Size difference between the small and big discs. Note all the rust on the Notch's brakes, the car was not used much in it's past years,rotors are more rusted than worned!!
I was thinking of installing rear discs at the back, but not from a Pontiac 6000STE, but with some custom brakets that I'll do at my shop to install the same discs and calipers that are in the front...stay tuned...
...Or I can be lazy and do it quick with APV units you see here that are installed on my Celebrity!!!
------FRONT SUSPENSION STRIP------
The whole suspension minus the a-arms are removed, amazingly the ball-joints are originals, and still very tight,so they will stay,and I'm not installing poly bushings, so the a-arms stay. Not a single bolt gave me a hard time,for a 22 year old northen car, it is in impressive condition.
Another side-by-side shot of both STD and HD hubs.
The stock 7/8" sway bar aside the 1 1/8" bar that I removed from the wagon,and it was from an APV at the junkyard.
Fresh and thick coat of anti-rust paint on the cradle, and a thick coat of undercoating in the wheelwell.
Struts and spindles were re-installed with the correct axles.
These parts too were coated with a thick coat of anti-rust paint. It is not super nice when you look closely,but rust is not coming back again in this area.
The front-end has been re-assembled, the only missing things are the axle nuts, and chassis braces from a U-van that ties the steering rack mount the the edge of the cradle ; I forgot to bring'em at the shop to sand blast them...next week,in May.
----------REAR AXLE STRIP---------
Again, I'm amazed how easy the trailing arms bolts can be removed from their mounts ; just a little heating around them, a little shot of WD-40 and they come! On the wagon ; I had to "hammer-in" a 3/8" socket on the bolt's head to avoid the correct 10mm socket to spin on it , and after 1/2 turn, they all broke, exept this one on the right of the pic.
Time to remove this axle, I just hope all the bolts will cooperate! Oh Yeah! It took less than 2 hours to completely separate the axle from the car :) The only part that had to be cut was the E-brake cable, it was seized anyway, and needed replacement... if I still be using drums...
I'm still amazed how easy it came ; just a little heating -around- the bolt,some WD-40 sprayed right after, and a little tap on the bolt's head with a soft head hammer, and they all came with NO resistance, unlike the wagon's that broke like glass...
Here it comes, unhurt! I will keep this axle in my shed... 'til someday maybe...
Look at these mounting pads ; Not bad at all for a 22 years old northen car. I got goosebumps when I remember the add when I bought it : -good winter car-!!! No mister you were wrong ; it's a -good project car-!!!
No more axle here...'til it's all cleaned-up!
X and A axle, face to face. Note again the huge wagon's 5x115 hub. The only fabrication needed is to duplicate the Panhard rod bracket on the wagon's axle. I was thinking of making my own Panhard rod with seamless tubing and rod ends... I'll think about it...
This is to show a little trick to remove bolts that are seized in their bushings ; just take a socket one size bigger than the bolt's head, and pull it off! After a 1/4" movement, the bolt is free from it's welding oxidation!!
The drums have been removed,and the work on the discs brackets starts...
Yuk!! These control arms brackets are too rusted for re-install them, I'll swap the Citation brackets, and slide-in fresh bushings while I'm at it.
Even the bearings are shod ; not from milleage, but the dust cap is rusted thru!! They were not noisy, but when I whack'em off the axle ; rust debris fell int them,and you can hear it when I spin it!! Damn, gotta buy 2 rear bearings.
The paper aside it is a quick drawing on the measurment I need for the brackets.
----MORE TO COME SOON------
R.I.P May-9-2005 due to lack of time. Show Less