Tuesday, May 5, 2009: It's been a while since I've done anything productive aside from keeping this truck running. A month or two ago, I had a fire u... Show morender the hood while getting gas. It took me a month to get around to checking out the problem and about 5 minutes to fix it. The wire from the battery to the started fell onto the exhaust manifold, melted, and shorted out. I also removed the buzzer box that warns you that the headlights are on without the truck running or that your keys are in the ignition when the door is open. It was buzzing constantly if a key was in the ignition, so Satan's buzzer is on the workbench.I've started body work getting the dents out and prepping for painting. Show Less
Sunday July 13, 2008: I picked the truck up. Unfortunately, the previous owner tore the drive train to pieces the morning I picked it up. A panoramic view of... Show more the lovely (now free) truck...
Tuesday July 15, 2008: Today, we put the truck in the garage after a lot of pushing and pulling with the big Ford tractor. Turns out, both front brakes are locked up totally. First things first, we jacked the truck up high enough for me to comfortable move around underneath of it and put it on jack stands. I pulled all four tires and confirmed my suspicion about the brakes. I rolled under the truck to turn the drive shaft and we got a busted rear diff. Lots of clanking and the axles don't turn with the drive shaft. A friend who owns a transmission shop is going to come look at it tomorrow and we're going to decide what to do about getting it running and driveable.
Friday July 18, 2008: Picked up a replacement rear differential (3.42 ratio) from the local auto salvage yard. It cost me $175 plus tax. I figure if they were going to pull it and load it for, it was worth the extra $90 to not have to drive an hour one way to the DIY auto salvage yard and pull it myself.
Sunday July 20, 2008: Pulled the old rear differential and hung the new one without tightening anything down. Dropped the transmission and pulled the clutch and flywheel. It was a fun day in the garage. We ended up cutting the exhaust on the driver's side of the tranny since someone had welded the entire thing into one piece from the manifold to the muffler, and the only thing holding it up was a weak bracket on the tailpipe.
Wednesday July 23, 2008: Spent some time going over everything in the rear of the truck today. Drained all of the gear oil in the differential and pulled the inspection plate to check for chunks and shavings. Cleaned the surfaces of leftove gasket pieces and sealed it back up with some heat and oil resistant gasket maker. Hooked up the brake lines to the rear drums and the parking brake cables. Tighetned up the U-Bolts, leaf springs, and shocks. Pulled the front brake calipers only to find out that they're shot. Picked up replacements at Autozone. Clutch arrived, transmission is done being inspected and it ready to be picked up along with the clutch kit. Show Less