A couple of days ago, I took delivery of my new vehicle – 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Crewcab SLT. The compar... Show moreison in between Ford & the Dodge was kind of like comparing apples and oranges.
In the end I narrowed it down to the pros and cons.
Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
1. Large Truck. Will be difficult to park at times.
2. After 5 years the shape will not change that much. Trucks age well.
3. The abundance of spares and parts in the aftermarket. Meaning I can keep the truck going for 15 years with incredible ease.
4. The more you accessorize, adds value to the truck.
5. Truck bed will come in handy from time to time for recreational activities.
1. Mid size sedan. I’m already comfortable using one.
2. After 5 years, there will probably be a newer model with a new shape and new features. Meaning that mine will look dated.
3. The aftermarket is not that big. I will be limited to Ford dealership most of the time.
4. Accessories do not do anything for the market value – sometimes detracts. Original condition is better.
5. Does not have a bed.
Weighing all that, it seemed that even though the truck was going to be a bit more that what I wanted to pay, I will be making up for it in the years of service that it will give me. This is a work-horse, mean’t to be pushed hard and built old school. That makes it perfect for me.
Also watching what Stacey David did with that Ram 1500 Express on his show only fueled me to get the truck.
You get so much respect on the roads in Dubai when you’re driving a huge vehicle. It was a diffferent experience for me. You don’t get pushed around by guys in their land cruisers & Nissan Patrols. In fact most 4x4s seem rather small compared to the Ram.
Its also interesting when you see other guys in their trucks on the road – get the casual ‘hey’or nod from the GM & Ford drivers. Haven’t seen much of Rams on the road. The Tundra guys just stare.
I’ve had friends ask me why I didn’t go in for the Ford or GM Trucks. I like the Raptor, but it was out of my price range and its interior wasn’t as nice. The GM trucks, to get the same amount of interior options, you gave to go in for the high end ones too and they just look like boxes.
Out of the standard trucks, the Ram, to me, looks the best and as standard came with a better interior. Being voted as Motortrend’s Truck Of The Year should say something.
A friend of mine was so impressed with the purchase that he traded his Ford Expedition in for a 2007 Ram.
Was thinking of a nickname for it when suddenly it started playing Linkin Park – What I’ve done; then it hit me…