I was going to add this as a new vehicle but there was no option for something like this. I needed something to carry fuel jugs and whatnot at the track, as ... Show morewell as something to tow dead racecars around the shop. A golfcart works pretty good for this so I bought a dead ClubCar for $300 with the intent of just using that. The more I looked at it though, the more I realized that a golf cart is laid out perfectly for carrying 2 people and golf bags, but not so good for carrying "stuff" Since I had been wanting to build a custom tubeframe vehicle anyways I decided this would be it. My design criteria was that it would be the same length and width as a standard cart for ease of transport, but with much more cargo capacity. I came up with a cart with forward controls, a 4'x4' bed, and 36" belly boxes between the wheels. The basic frame is 1x2 and 1x1 thinwall steel. Anything that wasn't tube like the brackets and suspension mounts were laser cut from 1/8 steel to save me the hassle. Front suspension is double wishbone and the rear is a 4 link with a track rod. The shocks are coilover units from an old sports racer. I'm trying to use as much stuff I have laying around to keep costs down. Power will come from 6 8v batteries and a programable 400A controller. I haven't made a decision on the motor yet, but the one I'm looking at should give me close to a 30mph top speed. Here are some pics of progress up till now. Show Less
Here is my GRM UTC entry:
Body: It's a 1985 LTD II that was a 6cyl, sold at auction state vehicle, that I got with a blown up V6 for 200 bucks. Its
go... Show moret a Fairmont nose on it that's been dropped about an inch in
front with the fenders flared a couple of inches for tire clearance. Fiberglass hood and bumper, lightened doors with the impact beams cut out, and lexan windows. Color is Chrysler Prowler Orange. The front lower valence is a modifed bottom half
of a Honda Odyssey front bumper cover. The splitter is the top
half of a Volvo 850 front bumper. This stuff all still
needs to be painted. A 10 point cage, Sparco seat, and Mustang
dash fill the front half of the interior, while aluminum panels and an ATL 15 gallon cell fill up the back.
Suspension: Complete Griggs Racing GR40 A-Sedan package front and rear with Torque arm and Koni coil-overs. Rear is an 8.8 with an Auburn diff. The stock axle tube ends were cut off and replaced with 9 inch ends to eliminate the C-clips. Custom Moser 31 spline axles. Brakes are Baer Racing, 13' up front, 12" rear.
Engine: Balanced and blueprinted 347, 9.5:1 compression.
Ported TFS heads with a GT 40 intake. Full length headers, X pipe to Magnaflow mufflers. 5 speed World-Class T5 and aluminum flywheel, and a shortened Crown Vic aluminum Driveshaft.
The car was built to annoy Porsches and BMWs at open track events and NASAs American Iron series.
I found some old pictures and thought I would update my page with a little history on the car. This started life as a repossesed 89 mustang LX that became the Snipes Ford/Team Highball IMSA Firehawk entry back in the early 90's. Team Highball closed their doors and I bought the car in 93? or thereabouts. At this point it was more or less a stock 5.0 with some decals on it and a bolt in Autopower rollcage. I drove it in it's Firehawk livery for a while and then painted it yellow. It slowly started getting modified as I autocrossed and tracked it every chance I got. I don't remember what year it was, but I crashed it pretty hard at turn 12 at Road Atlanta and had to replace just about every body panel on it. All my friends who had Mustangs chipped in and donated a body panel. Problem was every panel was a different color. I spent more money and time putting go fast stuff on it and never bothered painting it again. At this point I believe it was 8 different colors. I drove it like this for a few more years. I had finally replaced almost every part on it except the body which was pretty tired. I had welded cracks in the seat mounts, floor, strut towers, torque boxes, etc. The car was still really fast but butt ugly. The final straw came as I was sitting at a stoplight one day and the people in the car next to me were laughing at the bucket of bolts next to them. The time had come to replace the body too. I stripped the Mustang and put everything on the wagon over the course of about five or six years in my spare time at work. By the time it got to what you see here, I realized that after 14 years the only parts left from the original Mustang were the steering column and rack, the transmission, and gauge cluster. I basically threw away a perfectly good Mustang one piece at a time. No biggie I like the wagon better anyhow. I also forgot to mention in my original info that this is a street legal daily driver, although it's quite possibly the worlds worst street car.
Thanks to everyone who left comments, I appreciate it. See you at VIR!
Here's a quick update. I've been working on a bunch of little stuff to get ready for the GRMUTCC. My plan is to run the American Iron race with it also that weekend so I've been getting it compliant for those rules also.
I didn't like all the wires in the engine compartment, so I moved the harnesses, coil, starter solenoid, MAP sensor, etc., to the otherside of the firewall.
I made the bumper/splitter removeable for easy trailer loading/unloading. 4 nuts on the bumper face and some dzus fasteners and it comes right off.
Window net and right side head restraint net.
Here is the new rear wing with an adjustable wicker. I don't know how effective it will be, but it was fun to make. I also finally got around to making some exhaust tips.
Here are a few pics from last weekends UTCC. Show Less