This page is for the body of my Nova.
The body was beat when I got the car. It was orig... Show moreinally from Virginia so there was a lot of rust. I had to replace the passenger side quarter panel due to extensive rust.The taillight panel also had to be replaced since it had been rearended before. I was able to save the rear bumper after doing some pounding. It also needed new taillight lenses and one bezel. I fixed the rust with fiberglass and body filler and the dents with body filler. After a year of bodywork at my house, it went in to Maaco for paint in September 2005. The color is 1994 GM Truck Red-Orange. Unfortunately, I did not weld the quarter patch panel on correctly due to lack of knowledge, and body flex caused the repaired section to split nearly all the way around. The passenger side wheel lip is also beginning to rust out. Another problem was in early March 2005 the morning sun was reflecting off the dew on my windshield and I scraped my passenger side fender on a fence. No dent, but a little scratched paint. It has also picked up a few rock chips and door dings. I try to keep up on touching up the paint.
This was somewhere around Spring 2005 when the car was in primer.
My new taillight panel, March 2005 and my new quarter patch panel, June 2005.
Back from the paint shop!!! September 2005.
When I was at the dragstrip one day, a car kicked up a rock and it cracked my front windshield. I was a little upset, but after time, I really didn't care too much anymore. I still raced it, but in February 2007, the tech inspector saw it and told me that I would have to get the windshield replaced before I could race again.
This proves that even at the dragstrip cars are not safe from rocks.
I removed the cowl panel, windshield wipers and trim.
The panel under the trim and cowl were not painted the body color, so I sprayed it.
The windshield was installed using ACME Auto Glass from Elk Grove, CA. It was $199 installed.
The car looks much better with the new glass installed. It is also probably worth a lot more now.
SS Grill Install.
When I got my 71 Nova, it had numerous extra parts that came with it. Including an SS (Super Sport) grill and headlight bezels.
I decided to see what they would look like on my non-SS 1970 Nova.
This is how it looked when I started.
I took the grill and headlight bezels off.
Here is the new SS grill and new headlight bezels (top), with the old ones below it.
I repainted the SS grill and headlight bezels before installing them.
Here it all is installed. I think it looks a lot better.
Here it is with the SS emblem installed. It looks great.
I used the Mother's Clay Bar system on my car in the Summer of 2007.
I got the kit from Kragen for less than $20.
I had some water spots, overspray and other blemishes
here and there. Kind of hard to see in the pic, but they're there.
This is the stuff the kit came with. Clay bar, lube, and some wax.
Spray on the lube, be generous. It kind of smells like cinnamon.
Then use the clay. It takes a while to get into a rhythm.
Here's the clay from one pass, this may take a while.
Then, after its smooth, they have some wax for it. It's a real small container, but it works well.
See the streaks left by the clay lube? This wax will take it away.
After I buffed it out, the tubes wouldn't even stay on the roof.
Here's after I finished the hood. I did the bumper to, but it didn't do anything.
The roof came out good.
The trunk lid had some water spots that got on there when the paint was only a few days old, and no amount of polishing would do any good.....
.....that is, until the clay bar hit it.
I finished off with waxing the whole car with some turtle wax.
The paint is now as smooth as glass. I am very happy with the results, and I would recommend doing it if you have any overspray, waterspots, etc.
The clay bar, waxing, and buffing took about 5 hours of non-stop work. But it was worth the effort.
SS Tail Panel Install
I bought this Super Sport Taillight panel for my 70 Nova. (I'm making it into an SS clone).
Here is how the car looked before. It looked great.
Here's the tail panel.
Here I've marked the holes for drilling. I wasn't too thrilled about drilling into the panel I'd spent many hours on, but I am glad I did.
The holes have been drilled and the panel test fit. The point of no return has been passed.
I removed the tape and painted the bare metal.
The panel installed on the car.
The taillights reinstalled.
Here is the finished product. It turned out great. It only took about 2 hours to complete, and that includes washing the car beforehand.
Now it matches the front.
Page 1: Original Info and Pictures
Page 2-3: Engine/Transmission
Page 4-5: Suspension/Chassis
Page 6-7: Body
Page 8-9: Interior
Page 10-11: Drag Racing
Page 12: Other Pictures of my Nova
--------------------------------------------------------------- Show Less