Here's how my completed car was found at A-Team Collision. No top or glass installed, no panels aligned, no wet sanding or buffing. ... Show more Hell, they didn't even finish painting it! (The guy in the pic. is David not Mike West, the owner. David's a good guy. He felt my pain!)
How about that panel alignment!
After bringing her home, I've been working on the interior while I wait to get a verdict (and hopefully some money) from Small Claims Court.
First, I ground off the rust on the floorpans and trunk. Cut out and welded in new metal in the front floor. Used Por-15 throughout and then splatter painted the trunk. Looks good as new.
Trunk before and after.
Now in with 3 layers of underlayment to smooth out the bottom and make it nice and soft. Then with some cut pile carpeting to finish it out.
Front floor pan before and after.
Now that the floor pan's repaired, everything from the firewall back has been covered with Por-15. Over 50 square feet of Dynamat has been added to the firewall, floors, doors, and trunk area.
I've insulated all the interior panels with Reflectix, which you can purchase from Home Depot. It is made of two sheets of foil with something similar to bubble wrap between them. Besides providing incredible insulation (equal to about 1/2 of what a typical wall in your house would have) it also adds some padding. I haven't even installed the carpet yet and it's beginning to sound dead inside...like a recording studio. Cool!
I made sure to insulate the firewall too, all the way to the underside of the cowl. Should keep the engine heat at bay!
Carpet underlayment will be added in the footwells and on the rear "hump" to give it extra padding. Then new cut-pile carpeting will top it all off.
The heater box was pulled and many horrors were discovered. About 10 years ago, critters had invaded and made it their home. Their nasty bathroom habits were quite evident. Also the whole back of the box (under the yellow insulation) had collapsed and fallen apart. I had to rebuild it with fiberglass. I took everything apart, cleaned it, installed new foam on all the dampers and a new heater core. The A/C condenser had new connections installed and was pressure tested. Finally texture coating was applied to the box and all hardware zinc coated. Good as new!
Before and After
Before and After
Now to finish installing the carpet, then on to refinishing the interior panels, reinstalling the dash and fabricating brackets for the custom seats. More coming soon.... Show Less
FRONT SUSPENSION AND FRAME
Removing the front suspension and K-member opened a pandora's box of dark secrets. All ball-joints and steering linkage were w... Show moreell worn and the lower control arm bushings were gone altogether. And to think that the car actually handled decently when I drove her into the garage!
The worst was yet to be discovered, though. Removed the K-member and started cleaning up the frame for repaint and found rust had eaten up the driver's side at the suspension.
The car had been sand-blasted in 1989. Apparantly the sand had gotten trapped between the gusset plates at the suspension and kept the area moist, rusting it from the inside out. There was even a loose bolt sitting in there!
Cut out the swiss cheese, cleaned out the inner frame as well as I could and treated it with Rust Converter, then sprayed cold-compound zinc inside. Hopefully, the rust will be just a bad memory from now on. I welded in new gusset plates inside the frame and extended the existing frame to allow full contact with the new frame-rail cap from Auto Rust Technicians. The frame cap had some pretty big weld seams, so I ground them smooth, cut it to fit around the previously installed torque box and treated the interior with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. (I tried it instead of the Por-15 and don't like it as much. I'll be using Por-15 from now on)
Fully welded in the new frame-rail. Not quite up to Foose standards but not bad for a novice. This fall's been a full schedule with only modest work on the car. I did spend 3 weekends scraping, sanding, cleaning and reundercoating the underside of the car as well as coat the frame rails with Por15 for a nice clean contrast.
The front suspension is on, but I'm leaving the upper control arms off, since I will reinstall the engine by mounting it to the K-member and dropping the body down over it, like the factory did. Several people I've talked to say it makes it much easier, especially with big-blocks. I'm going to finish up the underside and will repaint the car over the winter. (I know it doesn't look like it needs it, but it does. The body shop really screwed up some things.)
Here's the front suspension and the new tubular upper control arms from Reilly Motor Sports. I got a powder coating gun from Harbor Freight and some translucent blue powder from Eastwood and had some fun!
Stay tuned for the underside............ Show Less